Spots and cold sores.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
The last few weeks I’ve been getting what I can only describe as teenage spots on my chin and cheeks. Also cold sores which are taking much longer than usual to heal. Yesterday I was conversing with a friend who had just arrived home from UAE, her hubby works there, and had endured seven hours on a plane wearing a mask. She happened to mention she now had “plukes” ( that’s what we call them up here) and cold sores. It got me thinking, is it the masks, I get very overheated and sweaty even after a few minutes, kudos to those who have to wear them all day for work, and my face gets all greasy. As for the cold sores I suspect I’m re infecting myself by not changing my mask everytime. I’m only in a shop max 20 minutes, apparently they have a 120 minute lifespan. Anyone else had this experience or am I reverting to childhood? :oops:

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Its common, quite often being referred to as Maskne and quite a lot of articles online about it xx

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wore masks for many years and never personally had a problem. Though some had allergic reactions to some makes of surgical masks. I use homemade masks.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I’ve looked up maskne and there’s loads about it. I do have very sensitive skin which doesn’t help and it also says you shouldn’t wear makeup underneath, which I do if I go into town for example. I’ve been using disposable masks but silk is recommended so I going to order some from Amazon and see if that works. Fingers crossed.

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I swear by Zovirax cream when i get a coldsore. Always get from my sweetheart "who've you been snogging" when i get one.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I swear by Zovirax cream when i get a coldsore. Always get from my sweetheart "who've you been snogging" when i get one.
I’ve been getting cold sores since I was about 12, and that’s a while ago! Funnily enough Mr Eggy has never had one in the 45 years we’ve been together. Maybe we’re not doing enough snogging! :p

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been getting cold sores since I was about 12, and that’s a while ago! Funnily enough Mr Eggy has never had one in the 45 years we’ve been together. Maybe we’re not doing enough snogging! :p
I’ve been getting them for years too, and my mum, dad, brother, niece, aunties...it’s a family thing! My dad used to get them on his corneas - ouch.

I take L-Lysine tablets (get them at wholefood shops) which get rid of them in a flash. Zovirax takes forever to zap the blighters.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I’ve been getting them for years too, and my mum, dad, brother, niece, aunties...it’s a family thing! My dad used to get them on his corneas - ouch.

I take L-Lysine tablets (get them at wholefood shops) which get rid of them in a flash. Zovirax takes forever to zap the blighters.
I get them up my nose as well now. They’re a bugger to get rid of! My mum, youngest sister, my middle daughter all got/get them too. Definitely a familial thing. I can feel a one coming on now. Grrr! :mad:

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I get them up my nose as well now. They’re a bugger to get rid of! My mum, youngest sister, my middle daughter all got/get them too. Definitely a familial thing. I can feel a one coming on now. Grrr! :mad:
Luckily, I only really get them up my nose...just had a HUGE one up there. I’m gorgeous, me!

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c

Hi Bloden, Do you take L-lysine as a preventative i.e everyday or as a treatment i.e. when you get a cold sore?

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I find the disposable masks bother my skin so I use cloth ones. I seem to remember that silk on its own isn’t suitable for masks but it makes a good inside layer with closely woven cotton.

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Bloden, Do you take L-lysine as a preventative i.e everyday or as a treatment i.e. when you get a cold sore?
Not every day, just as soon as I feel that menacing cold sore tingle, and then only for a few days. I hate taking tablets!

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Ooh, I‘ll give those a whirl. I've tried zovirax, and that doesn’t seem to make much difference. I’ve had them sporadically on my top lip ever since I had a coffee in a probably dirty cup in a dodgy dive round the back of the Royal Albert Hall during a break in rehearsals when I sang in one of the London choruses 40 years ago. They always come up on holiday, because sunlight and dry lips trigger them off.

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The other advice I follow when I’ve got one is:
1. No to red wine, peanuts or chocolate
2. Yes to bananas, orange juice and brassica veg (cabbage, broccoli, etc).
It seems to help.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The other advice I follow when I’ve got one is:
1. No to red wine, peanuts or chocolate
2. Yes to bananas, orange juice and brassica veg (cabbage, broccoli, etc).
It seems to help.
I’d almost rather have a cold sore, than no red wine or chocolate. Maybe I could just give up the peanuts?

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've got em on my lower lip cos I was in the sun A Lot last week and currently have neither Zovirax nor Blisteze to assist. Never heard of Lysine before either, so I'll be happy to give them a whirl too. What strength do we buy Bloden?