Sponsorship of diabetic NASCAR driver may help Lilly regain market share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ryan Reed is no ordinary race car driver. That’s why his primary sponsor, Eli Lilly and Co., veered into NASCAR in 2013. But Lilly marketers could never have imagined what was coming Feb. 21 at Daytona International Speedway.

Reed stunned racing gurus by winning his first NASCAR race on stock-car racing’s most hallowed grounds.

He did it with a wireless device attached to his stomach feeding a constant stream of data to a dashboard-mounted glucose monitor.

While he’s racing at breakneck speeds, Reed is watching more than his speed, RPMs and oil pressure.

http://www.ibj.com/articles/52145-s...car-driver-may-help-lilly-regain-market-share

And his engine tuner, Craig Herrmann, is trained to stab Reed in the leg with a syringe full of insulin if necessary during or after a race.

😱 A whole syringe-full? 😱 OK, I can understand his levels might go high, but that would hardly warrant an emergency syringe full of insulin immediately at the end of the race - one or two units of correction maybe. And, presuming he is still conscious enough to drive then he wouldn't need a glucagon injection either, maybe just a can of flat, full sugar coke? 🙄

Actually, thinking about it, if he had been in the UK and needed help from a third-party, then he would lose his license and his career would be over! 🙄

Does his engineer sit in the car with him ready to jab?
Through the fire safety material? Will a standard needle manage that?
So if i was type 1 id be ok to drive with someone next to me ready to stab me in the leg if my monitor showed i was getting low? Suspect id find it off putting with my mrs with a large unsheathed needle in hand in the seat next to me. Would she warn me 1st or just go for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back