Splitting doses for fatty meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I know that for a fatty meal you can spilt your insulin dose. What I am not sure :confused: is how long to leave it between the 2 injections AND if you are suppose to spilt the total dose in half or not?

I know this will vary from person to person, but am looking to see if anyone knows a sensible place to start.

Thanks in advance for you help. 🙂

i dont know about this but bumping your thread...good luck with some answers

Hi MCH,

It really depends what it is your eating? For example - if your eating something with mashed potato - then work out the carbs for the mash and give this amount upfront and 10 minutes before - this is because mashed potato doesnt need your body to digest it as it is like pure glucose! So this needs the amount up front.
Roast potatoes and chips take longer to digest -but this varies from person to person. Baked potatoes - it depends what the topping is. If its cheesy then this can delay absorption. If its tomato etc - this can be quick.
If it was a pizza - give approx 50% up front and then test yourself after 2 hours- if level - leave it for another hour and test - if going up - then inject.
Really you have to experiment as you might need only 30% upfront and the rest over 3 or 4 hours.
With Alex it can take up to 6 hours for a pizza to digest - so we just adjust the pump accordingly.
Does your pen do half units? Alex's did on MDI and it did help to work out tiny increments.
Not sure if i have helped!🙂Bev

Hi there

When on MDI we always started with a split of 50%/50% 2 hours apart for pasta, pizza and rice... then it became obvious that pasta and rice needed less up front (eg hypos were happening) we moved it to about 30 or 40% for the first dose and the remaining for the second dose two hours later. For MDI we never stretched it out further than 2 hours, but probably would have eventually.

Hope this helps as a place to start? For us it's been just trial and error and trial and error and error and trial etc...!

Hi MCH,

If it was a pizza - give approx 50% up front and then test yourself after 2 hours- if level - leave it for another hour and test - if going up - then inject.
Really you have to experiment as you might need only 30% upfront and the rest over 3 or 4 hours.

Not sure if i have helped!🙂Bev

Hi there

When on MDI we always started with a split of 50%/50% 2 hours apart for pasta, pizza and rice... then it became obvious that pasta and rice needed less up front (eg hypos were happening) we moved it to about 30 or 40% for the first dose and the remaining for the second dose two hours later. For MDI we never stretched it out further than 2 hours, but probably would have eventually.

Hope this helps as a place to start? For us it's been just trial and error and trial and error and error and trial etc...!

Thanks to both of you for your help. :D

I think next time I will try a 2 hour gap at 50% per injection as a starting point. I think perhaps although I have tried splitting the dose once or twice, I have not left it nearly long enough between injections. 😱

Thanks again,

Margaret

Hello,
I've heard of people doing this... is it to stop hypos after dinner?? I'm just wondering because I do all mine up front just before I eat usually. I wondered what the benefits of doing it this way are? (I remember them talking about it on DAFNE, but can't remember what was said...!!!)

Thanks 🙂

Hello,
I've heard of people doing this... is it to stop hypos after dinner?? I'm just wondering because I do all mine up front just before I eat usually. I wondered what the benefits of doing it this way are? (I remember them talking about it on DAFNE, but can't remember what was said...!!!)

Thanks 🙂

The aim is to get the insulin peak to keep the sugars from spiking later. If a food takes a long time to digest then the insuin injected along with the meal may have been depleted by the time the food peaks, so you get a spike. You still need some insulin up front becasue the food doesn't all outlast the insulin.

Well, I know what I mean!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back