Splitting dosage humilin i insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenniw1990

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I know I will need to speak to my diabetes nurse about this, but thought I would see if anyone has done this?

I am on 18 units of humilin I insulin per day and I take it in the morning. I tried taking it on an evening but that didn't make a difference. Is it possible or has anyone split their dosage so for example for me, taking 9 units in a morning and then 9 units in an evening?

Let me know your thoughts or experiences!

Thanks

@Jenniw1990 I use a different isophane insulin when I have a pump break (the ‘i’ in Humulin i stands for isophane). I’ve only ever heard of it being used as a twice daily insulin. It’s more unusual to use it once a day, I think.

My morning and evening doses aren’t equal. I take very roughly double my nighttime dose in the morning because I don’t need much basal overnight. I’m Type 1 not Type 2 so that might be different for you. Are you only taking Humulin i? No bolus/meal insulin?

@Jenniw1990 I use a different isophane insulin when I have a pump break (the ‘i’ in Humulin i stands for isophane). I’ve only ever heard of it being used as a twice daily insulin. It’s more unusual to use it once a day, I think.

My morning and evening doses aren’t equal. I take very roughly double my nighttime dose in the morning because I don’t need much basal overnight. I’m Type 1 not Type 2 so that might be different for you. Are you only taking Humulin i? No bolus/meal?

Yes I am type 2 and take humilin I insulin no other type of insulin. I am on oral medication as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on it at the start and on once a day to begin with (mornings) and then had an evening dose added which was adjusted independently from the morning one.

@Jenniw1990 Ok, so your split might be into two more equal doses than mine. Do check with your team first, of course. Why exactly do you want to split it? Are you going high at certain times? Or low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back