Split lantus dose

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezpez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm cureently working with a fantastic dsn - who is teaching D.A.F.N.E i'm very lucky indeed. Anyway i cant contact her until later next wk as she is away but i keep noticing and pattern with bs levels - there high before bed after novorapid has worn off and high in the morning too as in the teens! Do you think splitting my lantus for night and morning would help?? Do other ppl do this? and of course i'm not gonna do anything until i spoke to dsn.. just wondering as its all new to me
many thanks x

I was taking my Lantus at 10pm and it was not lasting 24 hours. Since I split it my levels have been more predictable though my morning values still need some work, the rest of the day they are normally in range.

My DSN said I could split if I wanted - but was quite dismissive and said it wouldn't make any difference it did.

From what you have said it is hard to say whether it is the novorapid that is not high enough, whether your Lantus isn't high enough or if its the Lantus not lasting. Maybe if you gave the approx times of the injections we could see which is the most likely.

For example I wasnt active thru the day but last nite for tea i did 1.1/2u to 10 carb i had ready meal chicken chow mein which had 40 carbs, count on us choc moouse 15 carbs, and then had a gold bar 10carbs ( i have a sweet tooth )
so put in 10 dose this was at 5.30pm
6.45pm going to drive test i was 6.0 just had 4 grapes
7.15pm pulled over as felt off - hypo 3.2 had 5 lucazade tabs and 2 R.T
8.30pm i was hungry which was weird seeming i had munching forever i weighed 18g pringles which i think it about 10carbs and ate 5 cashew nuts
10.45pm 16.1 yikes - gave 3 novo and 13 lantus
woke up this morning on 16!!
its so hard to understand!

Absolutely a split dose would work. I know people who have had the same problem with lantus not lasting 24 hours, and waking high on a morning, then split their dose and keep good stable control then on. The 16.1 reading at 10.45pm would be due to you over-correcting the hypo earlier in the evening, I know when driving this is sensible to ensure that you are safe to continue to drive, but 5 lucozade tabs and 2 RT would be unnecessary at home for a reading of 3.2, and I would say the pringles and cashews would not have helped either. Why not next time try eating 3 tabs and 1 RT to see if this stops the post-hypo rise, but remember to check your bg 15 mins after taking hypo correction, and 1 and 2 hours after.

When you speak to your DSN, ask about the DAFNE approach to hypo correction, I use to over-correct myself but since doing the DAFNE course I am usually no more than 6-7 after 2 hours. I hope your lantus split works well, and your night-time highs are solved. Toby.

Absolutely a split dose would work. I know people who have had the same problem with lantus not lasting 24 hours, and waking high on a morning, then split their dose and keep good stable control then on. The 16.1 reading at 10.45pm would be due to you over-correcting the hypo earlier in the evening, I know when driving this is sensible to ensure that you are safe to continue to drive, but 5 lucozade tabs and 2 RT would be unnecessary at home for a reading of 3.2, and I would say the pringles and cashews would not have helped either. Why not next time try eating 3 tabs and 1 RT to see if this stops the post-hypo rise, but remember to check your bg 15 mins after taking hypo correction, and 1 and 2 hours after.

When you speak to your DSN, ask about the DAFNE approach to hypo correction, I use to over-correct myself but since doing the DAFNE course I am usually no more than 6-7 after 2 hours. I hope your lantus split works well, and your night-time highs are solved. Toby.
Thanks for the advice i think i have still got a lot to learn for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back