Splenda, Sucralose Artificial Sweetener, Could Affect Body's Insulin Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A new study may make you think twice before adding Splenda to your coffee.

Published in the journal Diabetes Care, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis researchers found that sucralose, most popularly known by the brand name Splenda, has effects on the body's responses to sugar (glucose) -- which could thereby affect diabetes risk -- despite the fact that it has zero calories.

"Our results indicate that this artificial sweetener is not inert -- it does have an effect," study researcher M. Yanina Pepino, Ph.D., research assistant professor of medicine at the university, said in a statement. "And we need to do more studies to determine whether this observation means long-term use could be harmful."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/splenda-blood-sugar-sucralose-insulin_n_3362122.html

The implication of eating/drinking sweeteners seems to be that they generate the production of insulin (assuming you can produce insulin) and lower blood glucose - doesn't work for me, anyone else notice this effect?

Once again another study with a very small sample - 17 people! 17 obese people who didn't use artificial sweeteners - surely they could have found a lot more than that in Washington (USA).

They don't appear to have any effect on me. But my BS is always high just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back