Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What do most of you consider a spike. I have just been on another site and folks on there were saying that they never like to spike and would consider 7 to be high. My nurse says even non diabetics spike.

a spike 7 😱 myself i consider anything over 10

I'd go along with Steff - anything over 10. I'm very rarely below 7.0 2 hours after a meal.

i've been told not to test 2 hours after the meal anymore (i have a big blog to write about this). the nurse said doing this might lead me to react based on that result, which could lead me to going low later.

she's got me doing basic DAFNE - test before each meal, when i wake up and before i go to sleep. no corrections or anything at the moment. i'm so confused by it but i'm going along with it - got another appt with her in 2 weeks.

Perhaps for the same reason they have me doing it. To see how your diet is affecting you and how your body is coping on the current dosages. Maybe?

i've been told not to test 2 hours after the meal anymore (i have a big blog to write about this). the nurse said doing this might lead me to react based on that result, which could lead me to going low later.

she's got me doing basic DAFNE - test before each meal, when i wake up and before i go to sleep. no corrections or anything at the moment. i'm so confused by it but i'm going along with it - got another appt with her in 2 weeks.

Shiv, the 2 hour test is to check whether you have the correct ratio for your food - so if you dont test you cant change anything. Generally it is ok to be 2mmols higher than the pre-meal test. 🙂Bev

oh bev i know that, it's the DSN who said not to test and to wait until the next meal. it feels so, so wrong, but it's what i've been told to do.

normally i would test 2 hours after for exactly the reason you gave but i was told this was 'old' and i didn't need to do it. i'm going along with it as she advised me to, but i feel so wrong not testing after my meal :(

oh bev i know that, it's the DSN who said not to test and to wait until the next meal. it feels so, so wrong, but it's what i've been told to do.

normally i would test 2 hours after for exactly the reason you gave but i was told this was 'old' and i didn't need to do it. i'm going along with it as she advised me to, but i feel so wrong not testing after my meal :(

I only test after a meal if I think I'm going low, or if I'm going out for a run to make sure I'm high enough (but not too high!)🙂 I test before each meal though, to see if I need to add in a correction with my meal bolus.

the thing with dafne is that they dont want diabetes to control your life and only advise the tests you have mentioned other than excercise, unwell or driving as well.

However on dafne if you are not in range for two consecutive times then they do advise to change ratios/basal whatever is causing the problem, and the only way to know if it is ratio/basal is to do the testing. I think your dsn is right in that she wants you to just test less. Were you doing a lot of testing before? Before dafne i was a serial tester at least 10 times a day, i used to test at random times as i was not confident with what my bg would be, if that makes sense. Dafne gives you confidence to test only when you need to, hope this helps 🙂

What do most of you consider a spike. I have just been on another site and folks on there were saying that they never like to spike and would consider 7 to be high. My nurse says even non diabetics spike.
I'm a Type 2 like yourself - I was diagnosed nine years ago. I've sorted my blood glucose control out over the last twelve months. These days I test mainly one hour after finishing eating - i.e. when I expect my blood glucose level to be at its highest. I aim to keep that reading below 8 and, at present, I'm managing to achieve that almost all of the time - except sometimes when I'm experimenting.

Best wishes - John

I'm a Type 2 like yourself - I was diagnosed nine years ago. I've sorted my blood glucose control out over the last twelve months. These days I test mainly one hour after finishing eating - i.e. when I expect my blood glucose level to be at its highest. I aim to keep that reading below 8 and, at present, I'm managing to achieve that almost all of the time - except sometimes when I'm experimenting.

Best wishes - John

John, you manage the most remarkable levels - so well done

Personally I aim for the Diabetes UK guidelines for a Type 2 of <8.5 2 hours post meal and come in under that most of the time. Anything better would require more meds +/or less carbs - options that I don't want to follow at this time.

I would consider going above 10 a spike after a meal, though I usually do after my evening meal, just can't get that one right. I need more insulin at evening meal but am finding it hard to sort at the moment

John, you manage the most remarkable levels - so well done

Personally I aim for the Diabetes UK guidelines for a Type 2 of <8.5 2 hours post meal and come in under that most of the time. Anything better would require more meds +/or less carbs - options that I don't want to follow at this time.
Hi Vanessa,

Personally, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to maintain good control of my blood glucose levels. It's a small price to pay to keep well clear of quite horrible diabetic complications!

Best wishes - John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back