Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can someone please tell me exactly what a spike is. I know your bg goes up after a meal and how much it goes up depends on what you have eaten. Doesn't everyones bg spike and then come down again.:confused:

Hi Sebstar, it depends on the rate that the food you have eaten gets converted to glucose. So, whilst there may be a big spike with some food that converts faster than the body's (or injected) insulin can respond, some foods may be so gradual in their conversion that the peak is small - these are the low GI foods.

Can someone please tell me exactly what a spike is. I know your bg goes up after a meal and how much it goes up depends on what you have eaten. Doesn't everyones bg spike and then come down again.:confused:

Hi there Sebstar,
It's important to get to grips with spikes because research is suggesting that post prandial spikes are just as predictive of complications as high HbA1c.
Many well controlled dmers will test to find when their max spike comes ( around an hour in many cases). Some therefore take action at that point - a walk or whatever. many others aim to be under 8 at 1 hour and under 7 at 2 hours.
You can't avoid spikes ( they are essential if the body is to use the glucose from the carbs you have eaten) but you should try to be aware what foods and in what portion sizes cause what kind of spikes. Control and manage the spikes by an effective combination of diet,exercise,medication, insulin and of course testing as appropriate.

PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back