SPIKES & TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Once or twice a week I like to treat myself to a normal meal I enjoy without counting carbs etc. Of course I expect a substantial rise in numbers (tonight was from 5.6mmol to 14) however, is it out the ordinary for numbers to take 4 hours to get back to under 7mmol? Just trying to understand things. Thanks

Once or twice a week I like to treat myself to a normal meal I enjoy without counting carbs etc. Of course I expect a substantial rise in numbers (tonight was from 5.6mmol to 14) however, is it out the ordinary for numbers to take 4 hours to get back to under 7mmol? Just trying to understand things. Thanks
The higher your level is the longer it will take to come down and also depend on the nature of the carbs you ate. The same amount of carbs of something 'sugary' will be metabolised more quickly than the same amount of more complex carbs.
It will also depend on what if any mediation you may be taking.
The rule of thumb is that the glucose level to aim at is no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours after eating. and between 4-7 mmol/l before eating.

The higher your level is the longer it will take to come down and also depend on the nature of the carbs you ate. The same amount of carbs of something 'sugary' will be metabolised more quickly than the same amount of more complex carbs.
It will also depend on what if any mediation you may be taking.
The rule of thumb is that the glucose level to aim at is no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours after eating. and between 4-7 mmol/l before eating.
I take two 500mg of metformin a day. I must admit I only throw caution to the wind a couple of times a week to feel normalish. I never eat unless my BG is under 7 and as a rule within 2 hours bloods are back under 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back