Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

millymoose

Relationship to Diabetes
Gestational
Hi, sorry don't want to sound dense,:confused: but can someone explain what a spike is?
I have a fair idea, just want it confirmed. I have been wondering around here on and off all day, so much information, wonderful!!

A spike is where there is a rise in BG levels after eating, typically we aim to have this back on the way down by approximately 2 hours after eating. Either by diet control in a type 2 diabetic, or with the correct amount of insulin being injected in type 1's or insulin controlled type 2's.

Some foods, in me, particularly pizza, will typically give a double spike, all settles within the two hours and then a while after a second peak in levels. Correcting for this second spike can be tricky, as it doesn't sometimes merit a second injection 2-4 hours after the first injection. Unless you elect to go for a split dose of insulin. Not always, if ever (for me) a precise science.

I'm sure one of the techno bods will provide you with a more complete technical summary of what is happening 🙂.

Spikes are when the blood sugar rises after eating as David says. We want to try and reduce these as much as possible. Each of us will consider different levels spikes and at what time these matter. Duk sets the target of below 8.5mmol/l for type 2's at 2 hours after eating.

For those on insulin timing of insulin can help to overcome the spikes. The dose could be right but the timing need adjusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back