Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kol

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Anyone else find 'spike' a surprising word to use instead of 'a rise' or 'it rose' ?

Sometimes it almost reads alarmist and unexpected since who does has a flat line with food?

Must admit before joining this site, in all my yearly checks i don't remember this word being used.

Obviously accepted terminology though.

My first post instead of just commenting 🙂🙂

I agree.
It's totally normal for blood sugar to 'spike' after a meal, even in non-diabetics.
One of my oldest friends is a GP and he says up to 11 is normal in a non-diabetic after a heavy meal.
It's the not coming down and going up into 'teens' and staying there that is the problem.

Anyone else find 'spike' a surprising word to use instead of 'a rise' or 'it rose' ?

Sometimes it almost reads alarmist and unexpected since who does has a flat line with food?

Must admit before joining this site, in all my yearly checks i don't remember this word being used.

Obviously accepted terminology though.

My first post instead of just commenting 🙂🙂
I think it does sound alarmist, when it’s used to describe a normal and expected rise and fall after eating, I’d only ever use the term 'spike' if I’d unexpectedly shot up into the teens, followed by an equally fast drop. But I suspect I’m in the minority these days.

As an engineer, I find it an odd word to use, especially when it is used to mean a rise.
I picture a graph like the outline to a physical spike - it goes up to a sharp point and comes back down again.
In a diabetes context, it often seems to relate to a continued rise or a prolonged high.

As others have said, people without diabetes experience the "spiky" spikes whereas the continuous rises or prolonged highs are less common.

Well some folk seem think their BG going up by 2 or 3 after eating is a spike and I just have to ignore the fact that my immediate reaction is, 'Don't be stupid!' - and then you and I are both going to sound like Crocodile Dundee, ie Call that a spike?! followed by a guffaw of laughter. :D

I'm not so surprised this is a relatively recent term. Spikes are essentially a visual consequence.

Before people had CGM I imagine they were aware of a rise, perhaps even a rapid rise and maybe later a fall but there was no visual clue. With Libre 2 only displaying in portrait (or at least only portrait while I had Libre 2), almost every movement ends up looking like a spike. With the Diabox app offering a landscape display, spikes softened into gentle or steady climbs and mine can look like a landscape scene! I strongly remember this inability to get autorotate from Libre 2 displays being one of several reasons why I felt Libre 2 and its phone app being "mediocre".

Decom G7 allows autorotate, but it's app is also not much better than mediocre for other reasons - and a different thread.

Reactions: Kol
Must admit before joining this site,
Sorry just to clarify, first Diabetes forum i've joined, i meant and should have wrote in 'general and everywhere' apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back