spike on Humalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUSTFORLIFE

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
hi, I would love some advice on a dilemma, I have 10 units of Humalog with my breakfast break at work, (2 small slices of wholemeal toast, a tiny scraping of marmalade 2 wholegrain cereal bars, green tea), I get a huge spike at 12ish, (20+), then by 3pm, down to 4 to 6ish, the dilemma is, if I up the Humalog dose to 12 units, by 3pm, im a shaky mess of low blood sugar and need to administer jelly beans, any advice would be welcome.

Take your Humalog earlier @LUSTFORLIFE That should reduce the spike. You could also try adding some fat to your breakfast.

As @Inka says, it is the timing of the insulin, not the size of the dose by the sound of it. How long in advance of eating do you inject your Humalog? The glucose from the food is hitting your blood stream before the insulin, so you need to take the insulin further in advance of the food to give it a head start.
At breakfast time I need to prebolus a lot earlier than at other times of day. Usually I need 30-45mins at breakfast time with Fiasp but just 10-20 mins at other times of day. 45 mins is extreme and many people would hypo in that time so I would not recommend you trying that, but however long you currently take your Humalog before breakfast, add a few mins to it each day until the spike stops going so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back