Sparkling wine and a BG of 20.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmal31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

Yesterday was a special day as me and my husband celebrated 3 years together as a couple. We had a lovely lunch 2 hours post meal my bg was 15.7 I thought I'll give myself a correction of 2 units which I did at 5:30 I checked my bg at 8:00 and it had shot up to 20.6 😱 I couldn't believe it. The only thing it could have been down to was the sparkling wine and perhaps a lack of food since 3pm. I had a snack at 9pm because I wasn't hungry before that.

I checked it before bed and it had come down to 16.3 but I wanted to check it was in normal range so I set an alarm for 1am and it was 5.5 which was good I woke up this morning to a 3.5 so I am feeling really rough this afternoon :( not sure whether I'll drink the stuff again now.

Does anyone else have problems drinking sparkling wine/ champagne? I've had it before and it didn't do that to me?

Last edited:
Happy anniversary to you and your partner, I hope you had a lovely time. can't offer any advice, but hope you feel better soon.

Thank you caroline x

I had 3 large G&Ts the other evening, after a normal day and normal meals.

It sent my BG up to 17, which I corrected btu the following morning I had a hypo soon after breakfast.

Was it sweet wine or dry ?

I'm still a bit confused by alcohol but it does seem to shoot your BG up, then crash it when the liver has dealt with it.

Rob

I had 3 large G&Ts the other evening, after a normal day and normal meals.

It sent my BG up to 17, which I corrected btu the following morning I had a hypo soon after breakfast.

Was it sweet wine or dry ?

I'm still a bit confused by alcohol but it does seem to shoot your BG up, then crash it when the liver has dealt with it.

Rob

I think it was dry, I usually drink red wine and that doesn't make my levels shoot up it usually drops them a little.

My problem is I don't do it very often so have very little data to go on. Maybe we should have adata gathering exercise. Where's that gin bottle ? 🙄

Rob

My problem is I don't do it very often so have very little data to go on. Maybe we should have adata gathering exercise. Where's that gin bottle ? 🙄

Rob

haha I like the thinking that's cheered me up thank you. But seriously it is good to check your levels when your drinking especially something you haven't had before and even though I had had it before I should have checked my levels before I did. Oh well it's a good lesson if there's a next time.

You can bet next time it will do the opposite !

Like you, I weigh up the whole hassle factor and decide from there. It's usually a can't be bothered.

Rob

Hi Emma, happy anniversary 🙂

Wine for me (usually red or a dry white) doesn't push my levels up, but I do have to be careful the day after due to the usual liver issues.

I agree that regular testing is a must when drinking, especially with a new tipple! I guess it's further evidence, not that it was needed, that we all react differently :confused:

Hi Emma, happy anniversary 🙂

Wine for me (usually red or a dry white) doesn't push my levels up, but I do have to be careful the day after due to the usual liver issues.

I agree that regular testing is a must when drinking, especially with a new tipple! I guess it's further evidence, not that it was needed, that we all react differently :confused:

Thank you 😉

It would be a lot simpler if we all reacted the same to all the different things that affect our levels wouldn't it 🙄

It is interesting to hear what alcohol does to everyone though.

You can bet next time it will do the opposite !

Like you, I weigh up the whole hassle factor and decide from there. It's usually a can't be bothered.

Rob

Yes it probably will do the opposite next time. That's why I don't drink that often and the fact that it's expensive to as well.

I've found champagne to cause me problems in the past, too, so tend to avoid it unless it's a very special occasion!

With alcohol it took me years of trial and error to find a drink which doesn't mess me up too much. Like Rob, I find most drinks send my BG up but the next day they drop to hypo.

My drink of choice is now dry white wine - it still affects my BG but nowhere near as much as anything else. I tend to bolus an extra unit or so of insulin at the time of drinking, then set a temporary basal on my pump before bed to avoid a night-time/morning hypo.

So yes, yet again, we're all different! Joy.

Sparkling wine does tend to be sweet and a little high in carbs so this may explain your high bg Emmal, but never mind as long as you both had a nice day and here's to the next 3 years!🙂

dont know about champers sorry.

I tend to stick to red/white wine with no spikes, i take less insulin until lunchtime the next day if ive had more than one glass as i will go low otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back