Soymilk healthier than cow milk

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
... despite the "ultraprocessed" tag.

Background

Dietary guidelines recommend a shift to plant-based diets. Fortified soymilk, a prototypical plant protein food used in the transition to plant-based diets, usually contains added sugars to match the sweetness of cow’s milk and is classified as an ultra-processed food. Whether soymilk can replace minimally processed cow’s milk without the adverse cardiometabolic effects attributed to added sugars and ultra-processed foods remains unclear. We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials, to assess the effect of substituting soymilk for cow’s milk and its modification by added sugars (sweetened versus unsweetened) on intermediate cardiometabolic outcomes.

Conclusions

Current evidence provides a good indication that replacing cow’s milk with soymilk (including sweetened soymilk) does not adversely affect established cardiometabolic risk factors and may result in advantages for blood lipids, blood pressure, and inflammation in adults with a mix of health statuses. The classification of plant-based dairy alternatives such as soymilk as ultra-processed may be misleading as it relates to their cardiometabolic effects and may need to be reconsidered in the transition to plant-based diets.

Part funded by soy industry body https://www.unitedsoybean.org/about-the-checkoff/ which is actually a US govt-sponsored body with USDA oversight, so not clear to me the extent to which this constitutes more of a COI than the Canadian govt funding which also supported this study.

The studies varied as to the fat content of the cow milk comparator, whole thru skim. The majority were low fat or reduced fat (1% - 2.5%). Only 20% of the studies used whole cow milk. The main lipid result for soy milk vs cow milk was "small important reductions in LDL-C (− 0.19 mmol/L [− 0.29 to − 0.09])". The reduction would have been much higher if all the studies used whole cow milk.

Soy milk is better for LDL-C than non-skim milk because it has minimal saturated fat - eg only about 10% of the saturated fat found in whole cow milk. This is the main reason I drink it: it's a great source of protein, unstaurated fats and other nutrients with negligible satfats.

The particular brand I drink (Bonsoy) also has texture and taste very similar to whole cow milk, which is great, because I find skim/low fat cow milk kind of poxy.

Last edited:
I've read this and I did find it interesting...but I've never liked the taste of soy milk and besides I'd rather drink semi skinned goats milk anyway.

I have a soya allergy/intolerance. I enjoyed the occasional cappuccino and always specified cow's milk when ordering. One day in the Cafe Nero local to me the lazy good for nothing used soy milk. I ended up in the toilet for half-an-hour with him complaining. I have been very ill from eating it (unbeknown to me) once requiring medical treatment. Awful unnatural stuff! I tried all the other so-called milks and found all appalling! (moo cow emoji)

There you go @MikeyBikey
ugh the cow emoji failed to post .. sorry
pah!
1725740013365.gif

Last edited:
And the majority of soya production is genetically modified (GM) but the industry keeps quiet about it as it does not promote the "healthy" image! :rofl:

I'd rather drink semi skinned goats milk anyway.

Apologies, I know it was just a typo, but the image of semi skinned goats was quite arresting 😱

And the majority of soya production is genetically modified (GM) but the industry keeps quiet about it as it does not promote the "healthy" image! :rofl:
The majority of GM soy is fed to livestock, as far as I'm aware. But do you have any evidence contradicting the above findings, regarding health?

Also, perhaps look into dairy production, if health is your top priority.

Soy contains an oestrogen analogue so not a good thing for men - post menopausal women might benefit, but not in any great amounts.

Soy contains an oestrogen analogue so not a good thing for men - post menopausal women might benefit, but not in any great amounts.
Soy adversely affecting male fertility is just another zombie Internet myth - refusing to die despite the lack of any evidence. Metastudies have consistently found basically zero effect on male hormones from soy consumption.

Are you suggesting that plant oestrogen is problematic for men, but actual mammalian oestrogen is harmless?

Can you share the evidence that has you convinced.

Back