Soups and shakes / yoyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plotmate

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve received referral to join Xyla programme with view to putting T2D into remission. My main concern is that after completing the programme and (hopefully) achieving successful results I’ll not be able to maintain the weight loss. I have history of losing significant amounts of weight, (WW, Slimming World etc) only to put same and more back on.

I was offered the soups / shakes diet by my diabetes nurse when I was first diagnosed (Jan '23) but declined for the same reason as yourself. I knew whatever I did this time had to be sustainable for the long term and for the rest of my life. No short cuts!!

Following the advice on this forum, from my diabetes nurse and from the dietitians on the X-PERT course, I have embarked on a low carb approach to food. The priority being to tame my ridiculously high BG level but also hopefully to lose some weight in the meantime. Both goals have been achieved..............and then some 🙂

Low carb isn't for everyone but for me (and for many, many others), it is a sustainable, sensible and healthy approach. I was ALWAYS looking for the easy way to lose weight but there's no such thing. It takes effort and a bit of thought but it's worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide xx

I’ve received referral to join Xyla programme with view to putting T2D into remission. My main concern is that after completing the programme and (hopefully) achieving successful results I’ll not be able to maintain the weight loss. I have history of losing significant amounts of weight, (WW, Slimming World etc) only to put same and more back on.
I have lost weight and not regained it by eating a consistently low carb diet.
I found all the advice to eat carbs, hammering on and on for decades, simply gave HCPs an excuse to insult me. These days I have two meals a day, avoid high carb foods and I am changing shape gradually, and have regained some strength, but I have proper meals, no attempt at a modern day breakfast. The low carb way of eating did not involve any restriction of calories or require a special diet different from my usual foods, so that made it very easy to keep to. I just cut out high carb foods and kept the protein and fat with veges, salad and berries for colour, texture and variety.
Eating carbs I needed to starve to lose any weight - but I tried my hardest, and I kept weighing myself for as long as I could stand the stress, struggling to find some way to maintain my weight, but when eating carbs, I just gained.

That is something that can be a problem as it does not necessarily re-educate you and it is then easy to go back to old ways. I have seen exactly that with that type of dietary approach. I know for some it can work.
I also went down the low carb route and found the principals in this link gave me a way that I found easy, enjoyable and (for) ever, the 3 Es. https://www.freshwell.co.uk/

Thank you for your replies. Pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I have been following a low carb diet which I’ve found works for me, albeit rather slowly. I’ve lost weight and Hba1c has reduced from 65 to 55, and reduced Metformin to 200mg daily.
Tbh, if I needed to reduce weight quickly I’d go down the ozempic route!

worked for me though...just to throw one in there...!

Hope you find an approach or combination of approaches that work for you @Plotmate

Some on the forum have used the Soup & Shake as a kickstart, then transitioned to a moderate - low carb maintenance menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back