Sounds like diabetic neuropathy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banana

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My husband is Type II. Recently had his yearly check. Takes Metformin but is having nerve like pain in one foot/toes. Have contacted but not seen a GP but had a phone call asking us to make an appointment with the inhouse physio. Has anyone else found this helpful? Is there any medications that might help. He also has chronic venous insufficiency in his legs so wears compression socks to try and reduce the swelling in the legs.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice please.

Metformin can cause a deficiency of vitamin B12 @Banana Has that been ruled out? That can cause pins and needles and abnormal sensations, as can deficiencies of other B vitamins. What’s his HbA1C (diabetic blood test done by GP surgery)? Does he test his blood sugar at home? Keeping good control of the diabetes can help neuropathy.

Yes, there are medications for neuropathy, if he needs them.

Hello @Banana

I was given the impression by my Dr that neuropathy generally arrives bilaterally - on both sides at once. But i din’t know if this is always the case.

The best management for reducing flareups of neuropathic pain seems to be maintaining stable blood glucose levels as in-range as possible. There are also pain medications that can help. And some people find TENS machine can block pain signals and provide relief.

Welcome to the forum!

Hello @Banana

I was given the impression by my Dr that neuropathy generally arrives bilaterally - on both sides at once. But i din’t know if this is always the case.

The best management for reducing flareups of neuropathic pain seems to be maintaining stable blood glucose levels as in-range as possible. There are also pain medications that can help. And some people find TENS machine can block pain signals and provide relief.

Welcome to the forum!
Hi , From memory that's how the issues with my feet started to show.

Since taking the Metformin feet problems have generally gone away.

You can get neuropathy on one side… I had it on my right thigh.

You could try the Neuropathy cocktail. See attached. It is routinely prescribed for Neuropathy in Europe but for some reason not in the UK.

Attachments

You could try the Neuropathy cocktail. See attached. It is routinely prescribed for Neuropathy in Europe but for some reason not in the UK.

I always forget you had success with this Patti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back