Sorry I’ve been quiet for ages, I need help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg295

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Haven’t been on here for a little bit, I’ve been super fed up.

I don’t know what’s going on but for about a month straight now, libres just aren’t working for me at all.

It logs readings in the 3s and 4s pretty much all the time and barely recognises the rises that happen after meals. If it does recognise them, it massively underestimated them.

It’s also made my TIR look really bad because of how many hypos it keeps logging whereas in reality I don’t have more than about 1 a week.

Libres used to work ok for me, never amazingly but ok. If I had a faulty one, I’d replace it and it’d be alright but I’ve had about a month straight where sensor after sensor has done the same thing and it’s so frustrating. I’ve gone back to doing finger pricks the whole time which I don’t mind so much when I’m not working but one of the main reasons I was given a sensor was because of my busy job and now I can’t really use it.

Also feel like I’m not doing things right at the moment. I think my basal dose is ok as it’s super rare that I have hypos at night and can skip meals without hypos. However, in the past, even if I went to bed a bit high it would usually sort itself out. Now it barely shifts at all from what I went to bed on so I have to be more careful about what number I go to bed on if I don’t want to be high all night.

The bolus on the other hand seems to be a different problem. I’ve been using the same 1:15 ratio for ages with no problems. Recently it seems like it’s too much. After a lot of meals I seem to drop into the 4s which I know isn’t a hypo but it’s lower than I usually drop and means I keep needing snacks to top it up. I have also had a couple of hypos from this as well where as I rarely used to have hypos after meals before.
I have recently though been very busy and the weather is warmer at the moment and wonder if this could be a factor?

Just feel rather fed up and emotionally numb like I’ve just stopped caring a little bit but finally decided to speak out because I need advice and can’t go on feeling like this.

Thanks

Are you drinking enough to keep yourself well hydrated now the weather’s warmer? It's a long shot, but I find my Libre can read low for about 24hrs after I’ve been out for a long walk, or done a load of gardening, in warm weather, and it dawns on me that I do feel a bit dehydrated.

Hi,

I think I am yes. I’m keeping hydrated regularly and don’t feel dehydrated and it’s still low all the time

The bolus on the other hand seems to be a different problem. I’ve been using the same 1:15 ratio for ages with no problems. Recently it seems like it’s too much. After a lot of meals I seem to drop into the 4s which I know isn’t a hypo but it’s lower than I usually drop and means I keep needing snacks to top it up. I have also had a couple of hypos from this as well where as I rarely used to have hypos after meals before.
I have recently though been very busy and the weather is warmer at the moment and wonder if this could be a factor?
I do need to change ratios, and also my ratios for meals are different through the day. It can be very frustrating as things change. I find that it takes me a few days to cotton on to the fact that I need to change my bolus ratios. I need to do this as the weather changes, just like you have suggested.

You mention that your levels stay put over night, which makes it sound like your basal is okay, and perhaps you need to look at the level you go to bed at.

It sounds like it would also be worth you talking to your team about the possibility of a pump. This would allow you to fine tune things, which it looks like you are the sort of person who might want to do that. Also with the possibility of getting funded CGMs now a reality this could allow you to go into closed loop where the pump makes adjustments every 5 minutes. Mine levels out post meal highs where I have misjudged the carbs, and also gives me a flat line over night. It doesn’t suit everyone but this might be worth following up. If the Libre is not working for you at present could you talk to your team about using other sensors?

I hope that you can get things more settled.

My I:C ratio has been 1u@10g for ever - but now for evening meal I need 1.2u:10g.

Things change - and it took my DSN to tell me I ought to do this because I simply hadn't clocked it. DOH.

It might be worth trying your Libre in a different site. You could try it on your abdomen and see if works better there. Or ask your team if you qualify for a dexcom.

Many people have different ratios for different times of the day.
Yes warm weather does tend to cause less insulin needs so tweaks needed every now and then.

Sorry to hear you are having a frustrating time with Libre recently.

Fingers crossed it’s just a blip, and you are soon having a run of good sensors again.

When tech wobbles like it can be so irritating :(

Hope it doesn’t take long for you to retweak your doses. it’s the constant rigmarole with T1 isnt it! 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back