Sorry, but being slim may be no defence against diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Why me, I’m so thin?’ was the question I asked myself when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago, at 59.

Surely it only happened to overweight people.

A thin, healthy, ‘eat as much as you like’ guy like me should be fine.

Yet an annual test at my GP surgery revealed I had high blood sugar — 9millimoles per litre, while a normal level is 4-6mmol/l. Tests confirmed I was type 2 diabetic.

In type 2, the pancreas does not produce enough insulin to keep glucose levels normal (in type 1, it stops producing insulin altogether), and if I didn’t take action I could suffer bad sight, poor kidneys, heart failure and strokes.
I could eventually be on medication, and, most alarmingly, would be 36 per cent more likely to die early.

The condition affects more than two million people in the UK, with numbers expected to soar in the next decade.

The increase is blamed on rising obesity levels, as diabetes is thought to be triggered by excess weight.

But I have always been a healthy weight (I am 5ft 7in and weighed just 10st 7lb at the time), had no family history, ate a fairly healthy diet, never smoked, and did not have a sweet tooth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-Sorry-slim-no-defence-against-diabetes.html

The research, published in a paper on the website of the scientific journal Clinical Science, refutes the view held by many doctors that type 2 is solely a result of obesity or being very overweight.

Really? 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back