Sore feet, is there anything I can do to help relieve the discomfort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkin2211

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hiya, I’ve got really sore feet that get hot and cold which causes me a fair bit of discomfort. There is no given time for the pain which can come and go at anytime. When they’re cold it’s like I had them in a bloody freezer and when they’re hot they feel like they’re on fire.
I understand that this could be part of neuropathy?which scares the hell out of me. Can anyone give me advice as to what I can do?
I suppose I could talk to my doctor but my surgery is no bloody use. Unless you have Covid they don’t seem interested.
Any help would be most gratefully received.
Bob Hawthorn.

Welcome @Merkin2211 Sorry to hear you’re having foot issues. I totally get what you’re saying about your surgery, but I think you should try to get an appointment with a nurse there. They’re often easier to see than a doctor. Yes, neuropathy can be the cause of foot issues, but so can circulatory problems. The nurse can give your feet and pulses a good once over and give you an idea of the problem. When did you last have your feet checked? My surgery are super-keen to do foot checks even though it’s hard to see them about anything else, so you might well find they’re eager to fit you in. Either way, I’d say you need some medical input just to check everything out.

If it is neuropathy, keep good control of the diabetes helps. Are you on any meds for it?

Hi and welcome from me too. Good management of your diabetes may improve it and should prevent it from getting worse and exercise like walking if you are able to stimulate the blood flow. How do you currently manage your diabetes? Do you use a Blood Glucose (BG) meter to monitor your levels at home and use the results to help you adjust your diet? Medication alone will usually not manage your diabetes and so making lifestyle changes is important.

There are specific pain killers for neuropathy, Gabapentin is one, so if you are struggling to control it with over the counter meds, then seeing a GP will be necessary.

There is also a cocktail of supplements which is used on the continent (presecribed) which has been found to help and includes vitamin B12 to help support and repair your nerves. However if you are taking Metformin long term, this can inhibit your ability to absorb B12 from your food (or indeed supplements) so you may need B12 injections if you are deficient. Again this would need to be checked via a blood test by your surgery and prescribed. Taking an oral supplement may have no benefit if Metformin is blocking absorption. I believe @Pattidevans has a link to the cocktail of supplements but may be worth getting your B12 levels checked first if you have been taking Metformin long term.

Sorry to hear about your painful feet @Merkin2211 :(

Keeping glucose levels as stable and in-range as you can seems to help members here who live with nerve pain to reduce flare-ups.

Some also have found relief using a TENS machine though that may be more difficult in bed.

I second the suggestion of getting your pulses and sensitivity checked - this ought to be part lf your annual diabetes review, but some routine things are still slightly scuppered by the post-pandemic healthcare backlog. :(

The neuropathy cocktail certainly helped me when I was first diagnosed and had some neuropathy. Within a few short months it had gone. See attached. @rebrascora it doesn't include B12 but actually foot problems can be a sign of deficient B12 and it's wise to ger that checked too if you have been on Metformin for some time. Metformin blocks absorption of B12 into the stomach, so unlike normal people who get plenty from diet, you cannot absorb it and need to have injections administered through the GP.

Attachments

Welcome @Merkin2211 Sorry to hear you’re having foot issues. I totally get what you’re saying about your surgery, but I think you should try to get an appointment with a nurse there. They’re often easier to see than a doctor. Yes, neuropathy can be the cause of foot issues, but so can circulatory problems. The nurse can give your feet and pulses a good once over and give you an idea of the problem. When did you last have your feet checked? My surgery are super-keen to do foot checks even though it’s hard to see them about anything else, so you might well find they’re eager to fit you in. Either way, I’d say you need some medical input just to check everything out.

If it is neuropathy, keep good control of the diabetes helps. Are you on any meds for it?
Thanks Inka for your advice. I’ve made an appointment with the diabetic nurse.
I’m keeping track of my diabetes as you have all suggested. I have good days and bad.I’ve racked to wearing socks to bed when my feet are cold.I’ll keep you all in the loop after I get my appointment.
Thanks again for the advice.

Hi
Just thoughts here from a non medic.
How's your general health regime - glucose control / diet / exercise?

I've got T2 and some vascular issues, legs primarily, that does cause foot discomfort.
The surgeon said to me the crucial 3 things to avoid further problems was no smoking, looking after my blood sugars (I'm on a 'decent' low carb diet), and plenty of exercise. I think I'm doing OK, it's 7 or so years on now.

In my experience, and other people on this site, is that diabetic care / advice is not perhaps all it should be. Some is good for sure, but much isn't. First port of call is medication. To me, there isn't enough emphasis put on perhaps making a few changes and leading a healthy lifestyle. Particularly as there is a current round of news indication that 30+% of people in many areas are obese.

Again from personal experience with my wife, they put her on Metformin when she was only in the upper range of pre-diabetic - in other words, she wasn't consulted about tweaking her diet / lifestyle. She reacted very badly to the Metformin, embarrassingly so, and has come off it. It was also suggested she go on Gabapentin for her fibromyalgia. She looked into that and found that it can cause mental issues. I'm sorry you have painful issues and I suppose what I'm suggesting is that you try non-medical interventions before resorting to strong drugs.

Anyhow, best of luck and I hope you find some comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back