Something that’s worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dengel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After years of real struggle with my diabetes despite learning as much as I can about how to control it and not succeeding I may have found something that works for me. After listening to a Zoe Science and Nutrition podcast called “How to control Blood Sugar Spikes” I have tried 2 of their recommendations, 1 recommendation from this Forum and one I was doing for myself anyway.
1. Take a tablespoon of vinegar before eating. It hurts my tummy but I don’t care.
2. Eat vegetables first protein second and carbohydrate last. Homemade tomato soup to start breakfast isn’t everyone’s choice but I don’t care.
3. Insulin 20 minutes before I eat lunch. Not perfected that time yet but I will.
4. Exercise for 10 minutes after eating.
My blood sugars are still not perfect but much less spiky.

It's all about experimenting isn't it @Dengel, and it's great that you've found a formula which works for you. That's the biggest bugbear of mine about diabetes, there is no one-size-fits-all! I have to admit I find the homemade tomato soup for breakfast sounds a bit strange, but then people tease me about my broccoli, watercress and spinach soup which I have for lunch, saying it looks like green goo. But it works for me!

It's all about experimenting isn't it @Dengel, and it's great that you've found a formula which works for you. That's the biggest bugbear of mine about diabetes, there is no one-size-fits-all! I have to admit I find the homemade tomato soup for breakfast sounds a bit strange, but then people tease me about my broccoli, watercress and spinach soup which I have for lunch, saying it looks like green goo. But it works for me!
That sounds and interesting soup, I must try it. I have a mega glut of courgettes but only used 2 in a stilton and courgette soup for lunch, it still made 4 portions.

Wish I could find something magical which works for me!
I wish I was able to say I had found the Holy Grail but I haven’t, I would eat grass if I was told it worked but for some of us it’s bloody hard graft. My sister and husband are diabetics and I can see why there blood sugars go high but they don’t understand my diabetes at all. I have to keep going, keep hoping I will find the way forward. I wish the same for everyone that struggles, keep trying, don’t give up and one day you will have a eureka moment.

Glad you’ve found strategies that work for you @Dengel

Diabetes is so individual isn’t it!

I wish I was able to say I had found the Holy Grail but I haven’t, I would eat grass if I was told it worked but for some of us it’s bloody hard graft. My sister and husband are diabetics and I can see why there blood sugars go high but they don’t understand my diabetes at all. I have to keep going, keep hoping I will find the way forward. I wish the same for everyone that struggles, keep trying, don’t give up and one day you will have a eureka moment.
Won't we all? I am also surrounded with other diabetic, T2 adults. None of them understand me either to my utter annoyance and frustration. I have upped my game a little. Kept consciously more active specially after meal times. Let us hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back