Soda Bread

Yorkie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Does anyone know if Soda Bread is ok for Type 2 folk? I've not made in a while and husband wondered...it's the salt in it that worries me.

Does anyone know if Soda Bread is ok for Type 2 folk? I've not made in a while and husband wondered...it's the salt in it that worries me.
It has carbs just like any other bread so no better, no worse than any other type of bread. Some people say they tolerate sourdough better than other bread. But you will only know if it is OK for you by testing your blood glucose.
Why should salt be a problem, everybody need a bit of salt just not too much.
If you are making it yourself then you can always add a bit less.

It has carbs just like any other bread so no better, no worse than any other type of bread. Some people say they tolerate sourdough better than other bread. But you will only know if it is OK for you by testing your blood glucose.
Why should salt be a problem, everybody need a bit of salt just not too much.
If you are making it yourself then you can always add a bit less.
Soda bread isn't the same as sourdough but as you say it has carbs like any other bread. My wife makes her own, being part Irish, but I don't actually like it anyway.
Why are you concerned about the salt @Yorkie

I make a soda bread style bread using almond flour that is low in carbs.

Soda bread isn't the same as sourdough but as you say it has carbs like any other bread. My wife makes her own, being part Irish, but I don't actually like it anyway.
Why are you concerned about the salt @Yorkie
I'm just concerned about salt in food. I'm a recent type 2 (6 month check due November) still learning and working things out.

I'm just concerned about salt in food. I'm a recent type 2 (6 month check due November) still learning and working things out.
I track my salt as I have Stage 2 CKD but rarely exceed the 6g RDA. I never add salt to my food, but as @Leadinglights says we all need some salt in our diets.

Ok thanks for comments. Yes we need salt and I'm (as stated) still getting my head around some stuff.

I know it isn't, no yeast, more like a scone.
Sourdough has no added yeast either.
But both are very different: sodabread rises due to the soda (making it lighter than a scone) whereas sourdough uses "natural yeast".
I definitely find the carbs from sourdough are absorbed/digested slower than "normal" bread which may make it more suitable for someone with type 2.
Sodabread is typically made with wholemeal flour but I don't think it is much slower than normal bread.

Like Martin I also have CKD. I personally don't like salty food and never add salt at the table.
From looking at my food stats my average days salt is below 3g a day (I don't restrict myself, I just really don't feel I need to add it)
To be honest I don't even think about how much salt is in an item.
If I was using it regularly I would want to check I was below the recommended limit though.

I have to remember to add salt to my food these days or I get excruciating cramps.
I'd not use ordinary flour to make a bread or breadlike item as it is simply too high carb. I do have lower carb options, coconut and almond flour, psyllium husk and flour, and other things which seem fairly successful in making baked goods and keeping blood glucose low.
I know that people long for some magic formula to make carbs not affect them - but I suspect that there is no such thing, and something which is 2/3rds carbs is never going to make a food suitable for an ordinary type 2.

I have never been one to put salt on my food at the table but I do like to cook with salt and I eat quite a lot of cheese and nuts and olives which are preserved in brine and I am very partial to marmite. 🙄 I really couldn't be bothered to monitor anything other than BG, carbs and insulin. That takes up quite enough of my mental capacity, and yes I know there are apps but I would have to input what I eat and that alone is far too taxing. It seems to me that tracking all these micronutrients just gives people more things to worry about.

I have never been one to put salt on my food at the table but I do like to cook with salt and I eat quite a lot of cheese and nuts and olives which are preserved in brine and I am very partial to marmite. 🙄 I really couldn't be bothered to monitor anything other than BG, carbs and insulin. That takes up quite enough of my mental capacity, and yes I know there are apps but I would have to input what I eat and that alone is far too taxing. It seems to me that tracking all these micronutrients just gives people more things to worry about.
When it was mentioned about salt and blood pressure I actually measured out the recommended amount of salt and on the basis there would be some salt in bought foods I halved it and then only used salt from the remainder and I was actually not using a fraction of it.
I do now find some things too salty even though I do like salty things.

Ok thanks for comments. Yes we need salt and I'm (as stated) still getting my head around some stuff.

We do but overdoing things can be detrimental to health. I'm more of a cracked black pepper fan, some dishes will add salt but overall don't add it at table, apart from on boiled eggs or chips, even then it's low salt which can be bought in most supermarkets.

When it was mentioned about salt and blood pressure I actually measured out the recommended amount of salt and on the basis there would be some salt in bought foods I halved it and then only used salt from the remainder and I was actually not using a fraction of it.
I do now find some things too salty even though I do like salty things.
I would say the vast majority of my salt intake (way more than half) comes from bought foods like cheese and salted nuts and salted butter, so my veg will have a little salt from the knob of butter I add, but if I am having meat, I always salt that before cooking and that is probably the only time I get the salt seller out. Of course I use stock cubes in casseroles and soups and chilli etc and they are mostly salt .

I don't add salt when cooking, don't eat anything with salt added in the processing - unsalted butter, no salted nuts or stock cubes, so the sprinkle of salt on my meals is my entire intake of salt - and without it the cramps are excruciating.

I don't add salt when cooking, don't eat anything with salt added in the processing - unsalted butter, no salted nuts or stock cubes, so the sprinkle of salt on my meals is my entire intake of salt - and without it the cramps are excruciating.
You must eat cheese though?? And as you said yourself, we need some salt.

You must eat cheese though?? And as you said yourself, we need some salt.
I don't eat cheese these days, as I don't eat between meals and my husband doesn't regard cheese dishes as a meal I have to remember to add salt to what I put on my plate or I don't get enough of it. If I buy cheese for baking - something else I hardly do now, I have to make things and freeze them so they don't go stale or mouldy.
I am going to start to weigh what I eat - I seem to be eating less and less in quantities, and frequency and am losing weight so I need to do some sewing to have something to wear.

Do you have the recipe for soda bread please harbourless as it sounds interesting.

Sorry harbottle I meant. Don’t know what went wrong there.

Back