socks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been told I need diabetic socks for my long haul flight. Are normal compression socks ok? If not any suggestions as to where I can buy some.

Amazon. Footnurse do a range of diabetic socks and there are other makes.

I have been told I need diabetic socks for my long haul flight. Are normal compression socks ok? If not any suggestions as to where I can buy some.
What exactly have you been told to get? Diabetic socks are usually those that don’t have elastic round the tops, so they don’t impede circulation, or rub, in case you have diminished sensations in your feet. DVT socks for flying are like elastic stockings for varicose veins, and compress the lower leg to prevent clots forming.

If you're looking for "diabetic" socks, I have found H J Hall do a good range of these at slightly less than extortionate prices.
As Robin says, compression socks are entirely different from, and almost the opposite to, diabetic socks!

Normally for flying they recommend a type of compression knee high socks. You can get compression socks in differing degrees of compression, which are suitable depends on the reason for wearing.
Who told you you needed to wear some.
Just the ones sold as flight socks may be suitable.

When I flew long haul, I wore flight socks, which are compression ones, to avoid DVT. I also did leg exercises every half hour. This was because I have a cousin who developed DVT after a long haul flight and had all sorts of consequencial problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back