so worried about my vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracker57

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi all 2 weeks before christmas i had covid i woke up one morning and my vision was so blurred when i came out of isolation went to the opticians and my eyesight had changed a lot so needed new glasses back of eye was fine 500 pounds later!
i then went for a blood test and diagnosed with diabetes and told my eyesight was probably the high blood sugar now my glasses are not working eyes blurry all the time my levels are now good been low carb since i was diagnosed so scared my eyesight is getting worse any thoughts greatly appreciated carol

Eyesight issues are often the first thing that leads to a diagnosis as high glucose levels change the environment in the eye so it's shape changes. However sometimes as it happens slowly you don't notice straight away. But as your glucose level returns to more normal level often quite quickly from the dietary changes or meds you have the eye environment returns to a more normal salty one so again the focal length changes.
If your optician had suspected you may be diabetic then they should really have advised not to get new glasses until your eyes had settled down.
That can take from weeks to months depending on the individual. It is not an uncommon thing but is something people are not aware of.
Bringing glucose levels down slowly can help to prevent those issues.

Eyesight issues are often the first thing that leads to a diagnosis as high glucose levels change the environment in the eye so it's shape changes. However sometimes as it happens slowly you don't notice straight away. But as your glucose level returns to more normal level often quite quickly from the dietary changes or meds you have the eye environment returns to a more normal salty one so again the focal length changes.
If your optician had suspected you may be diabetic then they should really have advised not to get new glasses until your eyes had settled down.
That can take from weeks to months depending on the individual. It is not an uncommon thing but is something people are not aware of.
Bringing glucose levels down slowly can help to prevent those issues.
thanks for replying maybe i have got my levels down to quick i have gone from 16.5 to under 8 now?

thanks for replying maybe i have got my levels down to quick i have gone from 16.5 to under 8 now?
I think you have brought your levels down too quickly. Before diagnosis it happens so slowly that you don’t realise but as you are changing your levels back to normal quickly it will take a few weeks for your eyes to adjust

Maybe let your optician know what has happened as some have a time limited returns for correction option included n their prices - Your new prescription might well be totally wrong for your low glucose state.

hi all 2 weeks before christmas i had covid i woke up one morning and my vision was so blurred when i came out of isolation went to the opticians and my eyesight had changed a lot so needed new glasses back of eye was fine 500 pounds later!
i then went for a blood test and diagnosed with diabetes and told my eyesight was probably the high blood sugar now my glasses are not working eyes blurry all the time my levels are now good been low carb since i was diagnosed so scared my eyesight is getting worse any thoughts greatly appreciated carol
Can I clarify?

You had very blurred vision, had new glasses that worked originally, and now your eyes are blurred again - with your new glasses?

If that is the case, how is your vision with your OLD glasses? If I am correct, it may be your eyes have improved, but your new glasses could be inappropriate these days?

Have you sought professional help since your vision deteriorated the second time?

I had the same. Went to the optician with terribly blurry eyesight. Was told to get checked for Diabetes which i did and had confirmed. I cut back carbs straight away and started losing weight. My blood sugars had dropped significantly by the time i went back to collect the specs. |The specs were of no use whatsoever as my eyesight had changed again. I went from blurry to clear to short to long sighted in the next couple of weeks. Specsavers refunded me all but the cost of the test and cancelled the specs until i settled down enough to get tested again (No quibble money back guarantee). I now feel settled and am awaiting my new eye test which i think may be fine. Throughout the bad period i stopped driving until i could see clearly and used reading glasses of varying magnification from Poundland for reading and watching tv etc.
My annual retinal checks come back fine.
It is a worry at first but hopefully like me yours will settle down once you have got your BG levels lower/more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back