So which is it? Has anyone had tis experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
In mid Aug 2021 I was diagnosed as diabetic. At first it was thought I was type 1.5 - LADA. This prevailed until this week when its thought Im type 2
History - Dec 2020 10 stone healthy diet. (Except my sugar intake went up during lockdown and beyond)
June 2021 9 stone 7 lb. Fell rapidly to 8stone 12lb by early August
Early August 48 hrs only thirst and frequent urination. Contacted GP.
Mid aug Hb1Ac 56 - nurse said it was thought I was type 1.5 , LADA. Fingerprick 18.3.
I was asked to fingerprick once a day. Very little was said about food ,But i was given 500x2 slow release Metformin once a day. All i knew about diabetes was sugar and carbs so i dropped these drastically
Sept on Weight continued to fall to 7 stone 10lb .
I did more fingertip tests than requested and sent them in . Forum members encouraged me to eat more and varied. weight risen to 8st 2
In Nov / Dec I had keytone tests , negative , Cpeptide tests 4 out of 5 normal. Hb1Ac 38
GP sent a messsage to say nowType 2 is expected. Readings 4.1 - 5.8 before meals . 6-8 after meals some occasional spike 9 , 10, 12
Has anyone had a mixed experience during diagnosis ??? C
Call from the GP on Thursday 6th. what questions should I be asking ? Thank you
PS I seem to tolerate a fair amount in carbs but spike on high sugar items , especially if those items are eaten alongside 2 other carbs .

s

Last edited:
PS Type 1 or 1.5. Is it possible to get low readings and normal Ab1c test without insulin ?

Yes, during the honeymoon period some Type 1s/LADAs can temporarily stop insulin. The decline in the beta cells is erratic, and can be slow in some, faster in others.

Yes, during the honeymoon period some Type 1s/LADAs can temporarily stop insulin. The decline in the beta cells is erratic, and can be slow in some, faster in others.

Im wondering if Type 2 is the natural decision. I've never had insulin in the past 4m of ''diagnosis'' , only Metformin, .
Or should i expect something else to happen if beta cells are declining, - but metformin is coping without insulin for now (how does the decline manifest if thats the case?)

Im wondering if Type 2 is the natural decision. I've never had insulin in the past 4m of ''diagnosis'' , only Metformin, .
Or should i expect something else to happen if beta cells are declining, - but metformin is coping without insulin for now (how does the decline manifest if thats the case?)
If you are Type 1 or LADA (Type 1.5) then you will still be going through the honeymoon phase and this is where your remaining beta cells are dying off . If you are T1 or LADA then your numbers may stay in range without insulin until the beta cells are no longer able to produce insulin. Then again you could be T2

With LADA/1.5 the decline can be extremely slow - that is, it can take years. Some people with LADA don’t need any insulin at all for those early years. I can’t remember if I mentioned my friend before but they were treated as Type 2 for some years until Gliclazide caused a huge and sudden decline in their insulin production. They were then found to be Type 1/1.5 and started on small amounts of insulin, which have slowly increased. Signs of a decline in insulin production are higher blood sugars.

You cant please all the people all the time''
  • My doc was full of praise. My 2nd HbA1c showed as 38. The First in Aug was 96
  • The district nurse was not pleased saying my target was 58 !! I had very little understanding of the carbohydrate & management advice given. with no explanation why. I was told to do only 1 fingerprick a day ! how i wish the face to face had been repeated Ah well
  • Type 2 is decided on.
  • My 1000mg Metformin slow release is lowered to 500.
  • Because Im well within my BMI Im eating more to replace some of the sudden, drastic loss of many kgs in 6m. I look very haggard.
  • But I'm endeavouring to get my cholesterol down. I'm really enjoying my food for the first time in 20 years, widening my choses - a long story of other condition.
Thanks to all on Diabetes UK for support, sharing &friendship shown.
My type 2 is not quite usual. I didn't have to plan a diet for weight loss together with lo carb. That must be tough, tough tough

You cant please all the people all the time''
  • My doc was full of praise. My 2nd HbA1c showed as 38. The First in Aug was 96
  • The district nurse was not pleased saying my target was 58 !! I had very little understanding of the carbohydrate & management advice given. with no explanation why. I was told to do only 1 fingerprick a day ! how i wish the face to face had been repeated Ah well
  • Type 2 is decided on.
  • My 1000mg Metformin slow release is lowered to 500.
  • Because Im well within my BMI Im eating more to replace some of the sudden, drastic loss of many kgs in 6m. I look very haggard.
  • But I'm endeavouring to get my cholesterol down. I'm really enjoying my food for the first time in 20 years, widening my choses - a long story of other condition.
Thanks to all on Diabetes UK for support, sharing &friendship shown.
My type 2 is not quite usual. I didn't have to plan a diet for weight loss together with lo carb. That must be tough, tough tough
Thank you everyone for support and encouragement. I tend to go at things like a bull in a china shop, tail between my legs, dog with a bone, bit between my teeth. o_O 😎

Goodness! What a runaround you’ve had to get to this point @Jenny105 !

I guess you won’t really know for sure until a few more years have passed and things have settled one way or another!

@everydayupsanddowns You're right. Steady steady. And keep an open my mind.
I have to have a bevy of blood tests every 6m so Doc will keep and eye on the situ. Plus the Nurse also..... I still wonder but not too seriously why this started 6 weeks after my 2nd vaccination. Who knows .
Certainly my previous glucose test was normal ! 7m earlier than Aug 21. My weight then 63.5kg

Hi Jenny

I am on a similar track as you. Diagnosed type 2 aged 41 in October 2021 and didn't really fit the profile. BMI was spot on for my age and height although the year before I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and pre diabetic which all returned to normal 3 months later. I had lost a few pounds from April to September then when I was diagnosed t2 it fell off rapidly was stable for weeks then I got a diagnosis of t1 on the basis of positive GAD test and was referred to the hospital. I changed my diet immediately and the symptoms disappeared in about 3 days i.e. thirst, dry mouth and running to the toilet at night. Hba1C on diagnosis was 115. After 4 weeks 85 and after about 9 it was 55. Having it done again this week. The team at the hospital were fantastic and the consultant said she didn't know which type it was as I presented with symptoms of t2 but also symptoms of t1. She said probably LADA but then again she didn't know and I was given no medication and being reviewed again in 3 months time. I am checking levels at home. They are all pretty much in range with the exception of the morning fasting hitting 7 and the longer I lie on in bed the higher it gets until I eat. Before bed I can now achieve as low as 5.1 but that's with an hours walk after dinner. Also the consultant told me that the GAD test is not conclusive and I took from that, that it cannot be relied upon solely to diagnose t1. She said she would be repeating the test again.

Its all a bit over the place and a lot to get your head around but I suppose for us its just a matter of playing the waiting game.

You seem to be in a really good place with it all at the min and long may that continue. Btw I also didn't get symptoms until 2 weeks after my second vaccine. Not saying there is a link but it does make you wonder.

You have done really well to get your levels down - keep fighting the good fight!

R

@richardmillar11 Thanks for sharing . Keep up with your news.
I only had thirst/burst for 48hrs never returned. Im keeping on eating well with some thought to carbs and cals. Hoping my weight will rise a few kgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back