So tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

janebookf1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
newly diagnosed with Type 2.
Does anyone else suffer from tiredness? I am struggling at the moment with staying awake, I feel myself nodding off when at work (in meetings or just as my desk)

If you do how do you combat it?

How is your blood sugar level? High levels can make you feel tired.
I was before I was diagnosed, and would sometimes go home early and fall asleep on the sofa.

Once I lost weight and got my blood sugar under control it improved a lot.

Hi, I dont know what my levels are?
I was prescribed Metformin on Thursday afternoon and I have a Nurse Appt tomorrow.
Should I be monitoring my blood? If so is this something I need to bring up with the nurse tomorrow

Hi, I dont know what my levels are?
I was prescribed Metformin on Thursday afternoon and I have a Nurse Appt tomorrow.
Should I be monitoring my blood? If so is this something I need to bring up with the nurse tomorrow

Advice seems to vary on whether T2s need to monitor it.

I was never told to test, but do anyway to see what effect meals have and what my fasting level is.

As a person with Type 1 diabetes so long having a blood glucose meter I can assure you that higher than normal levels for more than a couple of hours absolutely cause me to fall asleep. Being 30 years older than you doesn't help either!

At your age, I was literally in my prime (other than the lady hormones) and like the proverbial budgie eating Trill birdseed on the adverts when I was little - bouncing with health.

Please please tell nursie ALL your current probs, even if you don't think they are anything to do with diabetes. Also ask her about diet, what to have more of and what to reduce, and about a meter so you can actually check up on how what you eat affects your blood glucose. (cos it's exactly that, which 'us lot' firmly believe will guide you)

Tiredness could be because your blood glucose is high so ask what your HbA1C is as that will indicate how far you are into the diabetes range, anything 48mmol/l and over will have given you your diagnosis but how high it is will indicate how much work you will need to do with your dietary changes. Metformin will only help your body to use the insulin it is producing more effectively but reducing your carbohydrate intake will be as if not more important.
Many do find a blood glucose monitor help them find which foods and meals will suit them without their blood glucose being pushed up too high. As a Type 2 many will have to self fund but you may be lucky in getting one and strips prescribed by you GP.
Many find that a low carbohydrate approach is successful and that is suggested as being less than 130g per day total carbohydrate not just sugar.
This link may help with some ideas for modifying your diet.
https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

I’ve always found it’s not the highs in themselves that make me tired…. It’s the dropping from the highs. 1.5 hours after meals is my fatigue window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back