So tired - glucophage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sas77

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there everyone

I have been on Glucophage for about a month now (Metformin did not agree with my tummy at all :( ) and have started to now feel completely worn out. My tummy is still not right but I am not sure if this is my IBS playing up instead. I am tired all the time and when I do get a chance to sit down I go to sleep. I know that I lead quite a hectic life (I work long hours and look after my disabled husband full time as well) but I have never been this tired before.

Has anyone ever experienced this as a side effect of Glucophage?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are so worn out. If this has started happening since the new medication, it may pay you to go have a chat to the doctor again. Does the patient information leaflet give any indication this is a known side effect? The hot weather doesn't help much either. I hope you feel better soon.

Hii Sas

My nurse put me on them the only thing that effected me was I had an upset tummy for a couple of days but nothin since... what dosage you on I'm on 2000mg.....

Hii Sas

My nurse put me on them the only thing that effected me was I had an upset tummy for a couple of days but nothin since... what dosage you on I'm on 2000mg.....

I am not sure what dosage I am on, I have just upped my dosage to 2 with an evening meal after 3 weeks of 1 with an evening meal. The tiredness was just before that though so I am not sure if that was the reason.

Have you ever had tiredness with it?

I couldn't get on with the Metformin either and was put on Glucophage SR (1500mg) in March. Apart from the usual couple of weeks feeling a bit queasy, I haven't had any problems with it. I think two pills will likely be 1000mg, they're usually 500mg each. Have you talked to your medical team, I really think you should?

I couldn't get on with the Metformin either and was put on Glucophage SR (1500mg) in March. Apart from the usual couple of weeks feeling a bit queasy, I haven't had any problems with it. I think two pills will likely be 1000mg, they're usually 500mg each. Have you talked to your medical team, I really think you should?

I will make an appointment.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. As usual, what a nice bunch of people of this forum 😱

Sarah, Glucophage is a trade name for the generic drug metformin, so I'm not sure what has changed? Are you taking SR (Slow Release)? Anyway, a month after starting a new drug or new formulation is time to review the prescription with whoever wrote the prescription, particularly when experiencing problems like tiredness. Have you mentioned your caring duties to your GP? Is he claiming DLA (Disability Living Allowance) or AA (Attendance Allowance for over 65s)? It's not a huge amount of money, but can be used to pay for some things to make life a bit easier eg grocery deliveries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back