So tired all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

looby1954

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the end of December, I'm on diet and excercise until i see nurse in March, Does diabetes make you tired, its all new to me and a lot to take in ive joined weight watchers to try and loose weight, but my heads all over the place at the moment. Linda x

Hi Linda! Welcome to the forum - I was diagnosed in November last year and I know it's difficult to get your head around it all. I remember being very tired all the time before I was diagnosed so I think it's definitely linked.

I've lost weight since diagnosis and started exercising (mostly walking - loving fresh air, hating snow and ice!) and I've already found a big difference in my energy levels. I hope that once your diet kicks in you'll see similar results.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress - they're a great bunch of people here and I've found heaps of support and a wealth of information from them.

Karina

oh i'm not to far from you Karina, I'm in Ayrshire , But at my dads just now in Parkhead. What kind of things do you eat Karina as in carbs??????? i'm so confused sorry if i'm being a pest Linda x

Hi everyone just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the end of December, I'm on diet and excercise until i see nurse in March, Does diabetes make you tired, its all new to me and a lot to take in ive joined weight watchers to try and loose weight, but my heads all over the place at the moment. Linda x

Hi Linda
Welcome to the forum.
Yes tiredness is part of diabetes and is a lot to take in at first but will become clearer to you soon, i'm slowly getting there lol
Ask as many questions as you like someone will help you,
This forum has helped me loads & i would be lost without it.
You will gradually lose weight when you adapt to a new diet & get in a regular pattern of eating, these things all take time so don't worry.
We are all here to support eachother & are very friendly & helpful.
Your nurse will help you more when you see her.

No problem Linda, asking questions is actively encouraged here!! Just remember though that what works for me might not work for you, but here is a sample of my daily 'diet'.

Breakfast: 2 weetabix with semi-skimmed milk
Lunch: WeightWatchers soup, sandwich made with mutli-grained/seeded bread, spread with Bertolli light and topped with a slice of meat (usually corned beef - yum!)
Dinner: varies - sometimes a tesco/m & s lighter choice ready meal or a stir fry.

I work 4 hour shifts Monday to Thursday in the evenings and take a tesco fruit salad with me for a snack. If I'm in a snack mood and fruit's not going to fill the gap, I may have something nicer like a fruit scone with jam or a fruesli bar. I drink diet coke by the litre.

If I feel like chocolate, I try to have a small piece like a treat/snack size bar. I don't think of myself as dieting, just eating a healthier diet. If I want to go to the pub for Sunday lunch then I will. After all, I'm going to be dealing with this for the rest of my life so I have to remember that there will be times when I'm going to have slips and trips along the way - but this is a marathon, not a sprint and we have to take it one step at a time.

Hope this helps!

Karina

p.s I recommend getting your hands on Gretchen Becker's book - Type 2 Diabetes: The First Year

Hi Linda,

I'm a Type 2 myself diagnosed over nine years ago and I'm on diet and metformin tablets. I have normalised my blood glucose levels over the last sixteen months. I feel - and am doing - just fine!

The main lesson that I had to learn was to eat much less starchy carbohydrate - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice etc. Doing that usually leads to a big improvement in blood glucose levels - and quickly too.

It took me eight years to come to learn that lesson - that was when I arrived at these diabetes forums. I wish that I'd learnt the lesson earlier.

Quite amazingly, up to that point the healthcare professionals had all been telling to eat even more starchy carbohydrate. For the life of me, I can't understand why many of them do just that it's a crazy message that they give out.

Best wishes - John

Last edited:
Hi Linda, welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid the tiredness is one of the symptoms of high BG levels.

Whenever I'm high I feel like falling asleep and usually get a headache and sore eyes as well.

Once your BG levels start to come down you will begin to feel less tired.

All the best

Phil

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. Diabetes makes you tierd anyway, your body can't get enough enegy from the food you eat.

Good luck with the diet and everything. It takes a little while for things to kick in and for your body to get used tot he new sugar levels.

Ask as many questions as you like, we are here to help and support.

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. Diabetes makes you tierd anyway, your body can't get enough enegy from the food you eat.

Good luck with the diet and everything. It takes a little while for things to kick in and for your body to get used tot he new sugar levels.

Ask as many questions as you like, we are here to help and support.
Good point Caroline - that hadn't occurred to me but it makes perfect sense that if the glucose isn't being absorbed as it should then our bodies are not getting the energy from it! Is that why it seemed too easy to put on weight - is it the excess of unused insulin or the unused glucose which gets stored as fat?

Thanks Linda for asking the question re tirednesss. I seem to be my tired all the time but reading the replies has helped me understand it more. You are a great bunch on here. I don't know where I would be without you. Thank you.

thx for replying to my post

Thanks guys for replying to my post , its just i'm so confused with it all, i just cant seem to get my head round it, some people are telling me to eat carbs and others are telling me i should'nt be eating them, i cant wait to see the nurse on March and hopefully i will get to see a dietician to put me on the right track. thanks again everyone Linda x

Thanks guys for replying to my post , its just i'm so confused with it all, i just cant seem to get my head round it, some people are telling me to eat carbs and others are telling me i should'nt be eating them, i cant wait to see the nurse on March and hopefully i will get to see a dietician to put me on the right track. thanks again everyone Linda x
Hi again Linda,

There is a good chance that your nurse and your dietitian will recommend that you "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" because many of them do. It's quite unbelievable a lot of the advice that we get. That's what they all told me and I was following that advice for eight years before I started testing.

If you don't know which way to go then I suggest that you get hold of a meter and some strips and start testing out the foods that you are eating. Everything will become as plain as day once you start doing that. It was for me anyway!

Best wishes - John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back