So that's why I got diabetes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've been reading Ragnar Hanas's book "Type 1 diabetes in children, adolescents and young adults" which is actually very good and has given me some new ideas and insights. However, I was amused by a box outlining research into why T1 occurs, which described a study published in 1982 in the Lancet about how T1 was linked to fathers eating lots of smoked mutton at the time of conception!

Sadly, 1982 was 2 years after I'd been conceived... if only my dad had known, I'm sure he would have curtailed his smoked-mutton-eating habits!

I've been reading Ragnar Hanas's book "Type 1 diabetes in children, adolescents and young adults" which is actually very good and has given me some new ideas and insights. However, I was amused by a box outlining research into why T1 occurs, which described a study published in 1982 in the Lancet about how T1 was linked to fathers eating lots of smoked mutton at the time of conception!

Sadly, 1982 was 2 years after I'd been conceived... if only my dad had known, I'm sure he would have curtailed his smoked-mutton-eating habits!

If that doesn't give Northey something to work on, I don't know what will! :D

Andy

Anything referencing the year 1977? Too much minced beef....or something?!:D

Not found anything about that yet, Sugarbum!

The study was from Iceland, I presume it's a delicacy there...

Oh, those quirky Icelanders, that explains it.

This book is really good btw 🙂

Iceland is a hotspot for genetic research, due to relatively small population (about 250,000), good family / birth / death records, helped by convention of creating surnames which translate as son of or daugher of (think of Magnus Magnusson, if you're not too young to remember an earlier Mastermind presenter; his TV presenter daughter Sally has the not Icelandically correct same surname)
Also a hotspot for some strange foods (smoked mutton, rotten fish, shark & whale meat etc) and geothermal activity 🙂

and a very good example of a female Icelandic name: Bj?rk Gu?mundsd?ttir, daughter of Gu?mundur Gunnars?n 😉 :D

Not sure it would work as well with english names.

Going off topic, but I like the Scottish custom of giving the mother's maiden name to the oldest child as a middle name.

Also a hotspot for some strange foods (smoked mutton, rotten fish, shark & whale meat etc) and geothermal activity 🙂

Off the subject I know, but one recipe involves (apparently!) burying a shark carcass for a while before retrieving & preparing - yikes! 😱

So I wonder what Dad's diet in '78 was?! 😛

I'm mildly surprised that eating smoked mutton didn't inhibit chances of conceiving 🙂

Brilliant Northerner! Good to see you and Andy are on the same wavelength.

I was talking about the smoked mutton theory at work to a colleague and she seemed to think diabetes was like an STD, as her dad had T1, then her mum got it after marrying him, then when he divorced and remarried, his new wife also got T1..... there are certainly lots of strange theories out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back