SO new to this! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello there.
Although I am SO very new to Diabetes, I only really heard of it through Sir Steve Redgrave, I DO understand about getting the balance right.
However, when my levels go too high or too low and I need to munch on something to bring them down or up again, what CAN I have?
Like, if it's low I should eat half a Snickers? Or an apple? Because the sugar brings it up? And if it's high I eat a bowl of oats? Or six peanuts? Or something like that.
(I'm a bit stuck because although I love cookin' and eatin', I'm still pretty choosy about what I put in my mouth).
I'm just a bit confused. Especially at bedtime. I mean, what CAN I eat that late that's not too heavy or flavourless?
Thank you.

Hello, Tim and welcome to the forum. Are you using insulin, and if so, what sort? I ask that because it helps fine tune any advice people give you on here.

Basically, if your blood glucose level is low, you should have something containing glucose, jelly babies are a popular choice, or fruit pastilles, or just glucose tablets, because you need to bring your levels up fast. If your levels are high, eating anything with carbohydrate in, such as porridge, will raise them still further, and eating in general won't bring them down. You need to learn how to correct a high level with your insulin, and your health care team should explain this to you.

However, I expect it's early days, and they don't want to bombard you with too much info at once, there's a lot to take in. When you feel you can absorb some more info, have a look at the top of the Newbies section, where there is a pinned thread with all sorts of things to read up on. And do come back to us with any more questions, we are here to put our collective heads together and tell you what has worked for us!

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back