so mamy questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroleann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Guys
Sorry not sure where to start realy,but as most of you know when i joined my bloods were pretty high and thanks to the new meds and a few other things i 've done they are much lower but i still have a way to go yet.
i still have so much to learn so i will start off with a little list of things you may be able to help me with,
How many times do you think i should test a day or shauld i just test a couple of times a week.
Should i wear medical id of some kind ok im realy confused now, i know its a big ask but could you possibly give me some kind of list of things i should ask my DN i have appointment with her on wednesday.
sorry about spelling,my eyes are still blurry.
Carole

Hi Guys
Sorry not sure where to start realy,but as most of you know when i joined my bloods were pretty high and thanks to the new meds and a few other things i 've done they are much lower but i still have a way to go yet.
i still have so much to learn so i will start off with a little list of things you may be able to help me with,
How many times do you think i should test a day or shauld i just test a couple of times a week.
Should i wear medical id of some kind ok im realy confused now, i know its a big ask but could you possibly give me some kind of list of things i should ask my DN i have appointment with her on wednesday.
sorry about spelling,my eyes are still blurry.
Carole

Hi caroleann, i am new to these boards and have loads to learn too. I don,t know where to start. I test four times a day sometimes once or twice more. I always wear medical I.D. because when i am out alone i am afraid i might pass out and not be able to tell anyone that i am diabetic. I have bought a necklace and a bracelet both engraved with my name, condition and an emergency contact phone number. I always wear one or the other, just incase. Hope your eyes soon clear, mine were very blurred at first but once i came out of hospital they soon cleared. Take care. 🙂

Medicalert is good. You pay for the necklace or bracelet but you then pay ?20 a year (I think) and they hold your information for you. I think its a great idea. On the back of your necklace/bracelet will be a phone number of Medicalert, a code that is personal to you and a few details ie type 1 diabetes or whatever. If someone was to ring that number and quote the code they would have all the info that you had given ie medication, hospital numbers, GP numbers, next of kin etc etc

Hello and welcome. There is a lot to learn, there are people who have been diabetic for many years who are still learning new things.

I have a medic alert necklace, with the phone number and codes on it, but you can also get dog tags, bracelets and necklaces that simply say diabetic.

We are all different so the ammount of times we test varies, but certainly on rising, about 2 hours after meals and before bed if that is what you feel comfortable with.

It is good to ask about anything you are worried about, so have a think about what you want or need to know now. Timing of medications is a good one as some work better at different times of the day, although most you need to take with or after food.

Don't worry about spelling, we do not all spell well, and it is clear what you are trying to say. The blurred vision will settle with your levels, although you may like to ask the nurse for reassurance.

Come back and let us know how you get on and feel free to ask as many questions of us as you like. Someone is sure to have an answer, idea or suggestion!

1. Does having diabetes mean that I am at higher risk for other medical problems?

2. Should I start seeing other doctors regularly, such as an eye doctor?

3. How often should I test my blood sugar and what should I do if it is too high or too low?

4. Are there any new medications that could be used to help manage my diabetes?

5. Does diabetes mean I have to stop eating the foods I like best?

6. How can exercise make a difference in my diabetes?

7. If I'm overweight, how many pounds do I have to lose to make a difference in my health?

8. Are my children at increased risk for the disease?

9. What is the importance of diet in diabetes?

10. Do I need to take my medications even on days that I feel fine?

hope they help you x

regarding your medical id I would say if you did not have some kind of jewellery then have at least a medi card like i have it sits in my purse .
Testing is very personal i would test as often as you feel you need to , i test 3 times a day if i hyper that day of course i may use 6 or 7 .

I wear a medi tag round my neck I also have a keyring that holds 4 glucotabs and has a medi alert symbol on it with diabetes written underneath.

I was also given a card when I started on insulin that tells people I have insulin treated diabetes and what to do if they find me ill or unconscious which I keep in the front of my wallet.

As far as testing is concerned I think that is a personal choice. I tend to test first thing in the morning and before meals and if I think I'm going hypo, but it depends on the individual when and how often you decide to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back