so...i'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i was just chatting on facebook with a friend of mine who is a 2nd year med student. he was telling me about a guy he'd met on a ward one day.

Reuben
he was both type 1 and type 2

Siobhan
errrr...how can he be both?

Reuben
if you're really badly controlled you can become
ive only really seen it clinically so havent had lectures on it

Siobhan
like, he was a type 2 then he went on insulin?

Reuben
nah
which was weird
he said he was type 1

Siobhan
well i'm thoroughly confused.

Reuben
and then became type 2
maybe they have limited sufficiency or something

Siobhan
i think HE was confused.
type 1 is auto immune...no insulin produced. type 2 is when you produce less insulin or what you produce is less effective. so i think he had his wires crossed or something
wow, i would have loved to have met him

...then...

Reuben
type 3 is like insulin resistant type 1, or type 2 insulin dependent

Siobhan
type 3 sounds like you're f*d

type 3? both type 1 and type 2?

(i'm not really looking for any proper answers here guys, just thought it was worth sharing!)

edit: you learn something new everyday. wiki says "Beyond these two types, there is no agreed-upon standard nomenclature. Various sources have defined "type 3 diabetes" as: gestational diabetes,[6] insulin-resistant type 1 diabetes (or "double diabetes"), type 2 diabetes which has progressed to require injected insulin, and latent autoimmune diabetes of adults (or LADA or "type 1.5" diabetes)"

Last edited:
Mmmmm :confused:

A dietician tutor told me of something similar - her explanation was

a) Type 1's are not "immune" from developing insulin resistance so can become effectively Type 2s as well and need something like metformin so they use the injected insulin properly
b) Type 2's can separately get Type 1 over and above the general deterioration of the beta cells or through pancreatic disease

Apparently it is very rare but it does happen

I think this is a classic case of the more I find out the less I know. I have heard of type 2's who after a period of time need insulin, gestationa etc.

Personally I decided I'd try to understand my type, and if I can help others I will on the understanding we are all different.

I have heard the same as Vanessa but not the explanation. I have heard of someone being both but is sounds bizarre to me and I always thought misdiagnosis but who knows.

I have heard the same as Vanessa but not the explanation. I have heard of someone being both but is sounds bizarre to me and I always thought misdiagnosis but who knows.

i thought T3 was like the guy mike hutch from oz described himself cos hes a carer for a T1 and aT2 .....i am confused but know im T2 so thats what i concentrate on , 500mg of metaformin is all i take .

Will ask my lecturer at Clinical Biochemistry lectures later on in the week she is very knowledgeable and might know something more about it.

As far as i'm aware you could go from being type 2 to being type 1, but only if you catch pancreatitis and become type 1 (or your pancreas packs up for some other reason) i'm guessing that it's just as likely for a type 2 to get type one as it is for anybody else.
I'm not sure that a type two who's insulin resistance has increased or production of insulin has decreased, to a level where they become insulin dependant really counts. Um...not wanting to put anyone's nose out of joint here, but generally, in our hospital these people are described as "insulin dependant type 2".
The other possibilites are :
1) The diagnosis was a bit confused, for example, i think that i had ketones when i was first diagnosed and it was assumed, for about 24hours, that i was type 1. But my response to metformin was sufficently good that type 1 was ruled out.
2) There's a form of diabetes (LADA? or MODY? I can't remember which is which...) that starts off looking a lot like type 2 and becomes more like type 1.
I've only heard of type 3 being used jokingly (along the lines of "type weird" ie a type of diabetes that doesn't seem to be "normal") or as AM said, by Michael whatsit, who used it to describe carers...

i thought T3 was like the guy mike hutch from oz described himself cos hes a carer for a T1 and aT2 .....i am confused but know im T2 so thats what i concentrate on , 500mg of metaformin is all i take .

Type 3 is technically a neurological condition, where there is enough insulin but your brain doesn't think there is enough or any insulin.

In the US it's also referred to as someone who is a carer for someone with diabetes :confused: And seemingly in Australia as well.

I have heard of T2's becoming T1 due to pancreatic failure. A T2 becoming insulin dependant is often to overcome insulin resistance or to provide more insulin than the pancreas can produce.

Isn't the 'combined T1 and T2' referred to as Type 1.5?

1500 mg of metformin is said to be the minimum effective dose, 2500 the max and 2000 a usual norm.
Why 500? And how long you been on it ? \is there some reason for an ineffective dose ?

1500 mg of metformin is said to be the minimum effective dose, 2500 the max and 2000 a usual norm.
Why 500? And how long you been on it ? \is there some reason for an ineffective dose ?

i started on 1000mg but then reduced to 500mg...

Mine goes up and down, it depends on how good or bad I've been...

I started on 1000mg and am still on 1000mg:D

1500 mg per day of metformin has been established by a wad of research to be the minimum effective dose. There is a small gain with 500 mg, another gain with 1000mg and a big leap in effectiveness between 1000 and 1500 mg. There is another gain up to 2000mg ( which is a very common dose to be on).
NICE guidelines on the management of T2 diabetes recommend a gradual build -up of metformin with "active titration". So usually a T2 will start on 500mg ( to lessen gastrointestinal effects), then move on to 1000 after tolerating it for a few weeks/months and then on to 1500 or 2000.
1000 mg would only normally be seen as a marginally effective temporary way station en route to a "proper" dose of 1500 or more likely 200 mg per day.
HTH

1500 mg per day of metformin has been established by a wad of research to be the minimum effective dose. There is a small gain with 500 mg, another gain with 1000mg and a big leap in effectiveness between 1000 and 1500 mg. There is another gain up to 2000mg ( which is a very common dose to be on).
NICE guidelines on the management of T2 diabetes recommend a gradual build -up of metformin with "active titration". So usually a T2 will start on 500mg ( to lessen gastrointestinal effects), then move on to 1000 after tolerating it for a few weeks/months and then on to 1500 or 2000.
1000 mg would only normally be seen as a marginally effective temporary way station en route to a "proper" dose of 1500 or more likely 200 mg per day.
HTH

well i started on 1000mg then after about 5 months dsn bumped into me and thought id should see the gp as i looked dredful and he reduced my does to 500mg and took me off the statins....whats HTH ??

I think that Vanessa has it right. Some people with type 1 then develop insulin resitance, but their diagnosis will stay the same as type 1.
I suspect the patient was slightly confused witht he terminology. How many people have come on here and not been 100% correct in the way they describe their type.

well i started on 1000mg then after about 5 months dsn bumped into me and thought id should see the gp as i looked dredful and he reduced my does to 500mg and took me off the statins....whats HTH ??
HTH = Hope This Helps..

Started on 500 then went to 1000 still hate them they do nothing and i want off metformin lol

I think that Vanessa has it right. Some people with type 1 then develop insulin resitance, but their diagnosis will stay the same as type 1.
I.

such a situation is generally called Double Diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back