So i have high cholesterol it seems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Went to see the Dr on Monday, thought i was seeing the nurse but they got mixed up.
Never seen this doctor before, he said i need a blood test for my new review so he did the blood test then and there.
Looking at my record he said that my hba1c is fine and is always ok. I have nothing to worry about with my sugars, but my cholesterol is very high, and has been for years. Well this is the first time in 4 years of being a Diabetic anyone has ever told me this!

He said i need to get it down or ill have to be medicated for it.
I know what i need to do cut out on butter, full fat milk and cheese which are all things i love. i dont mind that its just i have been thinking i am quite healthy and just to look after my blood sugars and that i can have these foods when really i should have been watching my diet a bit more.

I am not overweight i am not even 8 stone and im only 20, feeling a bit annoyed.

Looking at my record he said that my hba1c is fine and is always ok. I have nothing to worry about with my sugars, but my cholesterol is very high, and has been for years. Well this is the first time in 4 years of being a Diabetic anyone has ever told me this!

I know what i need to do cut out on butter, full fat milk and cheese which are all things i love. i dont mind that its just i have been thinking i am quite healthy and just to look after my blood sugars and that i can have these foods when really i should have been watching my diet a bit more.

I am not overweight i am not even 8 stone and im only 20, feeling a bit annoyed.

Did he quote a level? Some doctors look for 4.0 or below others 5.0. It is confusing when they do not agree!

at one point he said 7!!! and he said it has always been very high x

Hope it works out with the cholesterol for you. For years the doc told me my cholesterol was high. It wasn't until someone else told him I needed something for it he decided he'd medicate! My doctor is good at following instructions and poor at making decisions.

The last time my OH had his taken it was around 7 but the Dr said it was OK because of the ratio of good to bad cholesterol.

Did you Dr give you any dietary advice ?

Hiya

My mum is non diabetic and is 8 stone and is 5 ft 5 inches. Her last result was 6.9 😱 She is a black and white person, no grey there at all (very infruriating) but she was giving a sheet with three columns and she refused to go on statins, as they wanted, and she only ate what was in column one ! She ate hardly anything at all. This was before xmas.

She had a result last week and is now 5.3 but she has lost 1/2 stone and is down to 7 1/2 stone and looks way way too thin and is well under the lowest BMI and needs to now put weight on but she can't eat anything as she still has to get under 4. I told her that healthy people can be under 5 and it is type 2 diabetics on statins that should be under 4. She won't have any of it though.

I told her that it is the bad cholestrol she needs to be under 3.0 but the docs don't tell you this breakdown as they all presume we are thick. My doc was very surprised when I demanded to know the total number and the two breakdowns. He said they would mean nothing too me and I told him they would mean lots to me.

Ask for your breakdown and take it from there.

Cholestrol does not follow overweight people, it is a skinny person thing too so don't let them tell you otherwise.

🙂

The last time my OH had his taken it was around 7 but the Dr said it was OK because of the ratio of good to bad cholesterol.

Did you Dr give you any dietary advice ?

Yes, I think this is the important part, not just the total cholesterol. Some people have naturally higher cholesterol levels than others. Also, dietary cholesterol is only part of the equation - about 20% of cholesterol comes from what you eat, but the rest is manufactured by the liver. There are statins to bring the level down, but these can have side-effects in some people. There are also products like benecol, flora pro-active etc. that can help to reduce levels, but you do pay a premium for them.

Find out how you might reduce it naturally before agreeing to medication.🙂

My doctor has no problem giving me my LDL/HDL and Gamma GT numbers. While my other numbers have been all over the shop these three have been really good. I cut way down on fats and salt which does seem to help.

I have high cholesteral to. My doc knew in June but decided not to tell me till feb when I was with my friend who was giving birth!
Good timing as ever doc!!

And I have high cholesteral too. Again was not told by the DN or Doc, it was dropped in conversation by the dietician!

I am seeing him before april again so ill ask him for the breakdown.
I think i should be able to get it down because i eat a lot of butter and only drink full fat milk. If i go to a healthy spread ill cut it out complety because i hate spreads.

It is so annoying that we are not told things about our health, at the end of the day we are the ones who has the most control over our bodies. These things shouldnt be kept secret from us.

At least i am with this dr now who seems to give a dam, He got the local diabetic nurse to give me a call and she wants to see me. Its looking up.

thanks everyone 🙂

Went to see the Dr on Monday, thought i was seeing the nurse but they got mixed up.
Never seen this doctor before, he said i need a blood test for my new review so he did the blood test then and there.

Dear Phoebe,

If you look back at earlier threads on cholesterol you will find a post by me showing that the rates of heart disease and cholesterol level have no correlation whatsoever. I nearly didn't post this because the post in question was completely ignored but you never know one day someone will see the obvious!

Warmest Regards Dodger

PS I've included it again! WHO Data - no relationship between cholesterol and CVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back