so frustrated over pump wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
basically i have been wanting a pump for 2 years, i have been on a 'waiting' list for it for a year now, i have been told i am now 6th on the list and there is 70ish people on the list in poole diabeties center , the problem is poole pct !they dont like funding them( cost too much money and the pct is broke) i think i may be 6th on the list forever more!:( trouble is i think it will improve my life! i have done enough reasearch to know it is the right thing for me.......and i do know the pump is only as good as its user. even my consultant said he wants me to have one but in his own words said i wouldnt hold my breath to get one!!😱 OMG!! AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH , is any one else having this problem or is it just me 😡
sorry ....rant over

hey bex we have a pumpers thread dedicated to users and pple waiting , i know some one in here tom i think was hoping he would have one in next 2 weeks i think but he now has to wait till march, if you have a look through the thread it is a big one mind and may take a while but it will show you your not the only one hun and it is a real pain for many

good luck with getting pump though xxxxxxx

Hello - I completely understand how you feel. I have been on the waiting list in the Lothians since April, I have been told I should hopefully get it in August. I have been incredibly frustrated about it all, and I think it has been a contributing factor to my ending up on fluoxetine again for anxiety and depression. The waiting list here now is up to 2 years. I have written to my MSP, and the head of the PCT about it all. I am not sure it will help that much, but it makes me feel a bit better and it cant harm.

Hi Bex

This is dreadful. Why are they telling you that you are 6th on the list? If this is the case then how often are they giving them out? When can you expect to move up the list?

www.input.me.uk get on there and consider contacting the infamous John Davis for some assistance.

The PCT is "broke"? Thats shoddy. Poor you Bex. I know what its like to be fobbed off when you REALLY want a pump.

BTW, dont give up your fight 😉

As far as i know, the PCT are not allowed to use 'funding' as an obstacle, because they were given funds in 2003 to cover both pumps and extra staffing needs. This has been increased every year since.

Of course, the above may only relate to paediatric diabetes teams - but it is certainly something you should look into.

Have you spoken to John Davis at INPUT? He helped me gather all the relevant documents for us to get a pump for my son (11). The only place where the rules are slightly different is in Scotland - but i see your from down South - so you should be ok. John Davis is brilliant and if he cant fight your corner - nobody can!

Basically if a consultant says your a candidate for a pump - the PCT cannot say no. They are not allowed to have 'waiting' lists for any other reason than getting all parties logistically together to do the training which only took half a day for us. Good luck and dont take this lying down!🙂Bev

Hi Bex

This is dreadful. Why are they telling you that you are 6th on the list? If this is the case then how often are they giving them out? When can you expect to move up the list?

www.input.me.uk get on there and consider contacting the infamous John Davis for some assistance.

The PCT is "broke"? Thats shoddy. Poor you Bex. I know what its like to be fobbed off when you REALLY want a pump.

BTW, dont give up your fight 😉

i know its terrible to be told 6th on the list knowing it could be years , i really feel bad for the ones who are 70th on the list!

I have been told that training is a major part of the reason for the wait up here. They seem to give a lot of training, you are in the clinic 3 times over a week, and they are then on call 24 hours for the next week for you. Although this is very good patient care, it does seem a lot. I would be interested to here how much training some of the pumpers here have had. I how much they think would be most useful.

As far as i know, the PCT are not allowed to use 'funding' as an obstacle, because they were given funds in 2003 to cover both pumps and extra staffing needs. This has been increased every year since.

Of course, the above may only relate to paediatric diabetes teams - but it is certainly something you should look into.

Have you spoken to John Davis at INPUT? He helped me gather all the relevant documents for us to get a pump for my son (11). The only place where the rules are slightly different is in Scotland - but i see your from down South - so you should be ok. John Davis is brilliant and if he cant fight your corner - nobody can!

Basically if a consultant says your a candidate for a pump - the PCT cannot say no. They are not allowed to have 'waiting' lists for any other reason than getting all parties logistically together to do the training which only took half a day for us. Good luck and dont take this lying down!🙂Bev

who is john davis and what is imput? sounds interesting but i have no idea who and what they are?

This is rubbish, I know new technology costs etc research and things but if you're going to offer it then make it bleeding avaliable grrr. You guys/gals clearly want/need it to better manage your Diabetes.

Everything granted starts of costing a bomb but it will (will it?) come down in price and avalaibility demand supply and all that but how long will that take?

Good luck to all looking for a pump.

Pump Fact:

They all come standard as pink colour, and they cost more to get and may take longer if you don't order pink!!

PS Small print follows...

PPS Not really all pink just trying to wind Tom up AGAIN🙄

😉

I had a very frustrating response from the PCT here. Apparently the problem is not the funding level but the increasing demand for pumps. What the h&ll!!! Then they need to increase the funding levels to cope with the demand. Also telling me that the Lothians compares well with other areas of Scotland does not help when there is currently a 2 year waiting list here. That is still not good enough - rant rant rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back