So disappointing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Every now and then I allow myself some slack re carbs A while ago I ate some pasta. It was a great disappointment. Today I bought a Portuguese Custard tart (I forget the proper name for this). Once again, I was sorely disappointed. Clearly my palate has changed. But my, what a disappointment. Whst a waste and certainly not worth the 26 carb outlay. Sigh.

this type of thinking is still quite funny to me when I think about it, the ROI of that carby food. Being newly diagnosed T1 it is still new to me to consider if that treat is worth it or not. 4 months ago it wasn't not really a consideration except for weight gain!
But like you I am disappointed if I waste my planned carbs on something not worth it like a lasagne I had on the weekend that came out cold then nuked upon it's return.

I am disappointed if I waste my planned carbs on something not worth it
As a long term T1, I do not have "planned carbs". I am happy to inject insulin for whatever I would have eaten before I had diabetes. I am lucky that weight gain is not something I have to worry about as I am very active.

However, if, like @Sharron1 , I needed to limit my carbs, I think I would be happy to find my tastes had changed and carbs no longer bought me joy. I would take the opportunity to discover new exciting (lower carb) foods as that lack of enjoyment from carbs makes the diet easier to maintain.

Ok, I admit it, I might be tempted to try another Pastel de Nata just to check it wasn't a bad Portuguese custard tart before giving them up completely.

Yes, I’d be experimenting with a custard tart from elsewhere too! The ‘same thing’ can vary hugely between different shops.

I was disappointed with em in Portugal too, for what that's worth. I certainly expected more apparent 'custard'. Bit like paella - far far too fishy tasting, all in all! Yet I can still enjoy moules mariniere, smoked haddock/salmon/trout/eel, or unsmoked loved boil in the bag kipper fillets but not actual kippers because of the ruddy bones.

As a long term T1, I do not have "planned carbs". I am happy to inject insulin for whatever I would have eaten before I had diabetes. I am lucky that weight gain is not something I have to worry about as I am very active.

However, if, like @Sharron1 , I needed to limit my carbs, I think I would be happy to find my tastes had changed and carbs no longer bought me joy. I would take the opportunity to discover new exciting (lower carb) foods as that lack of enjoyment from carbs makes the diet easier to maintain.

Ok, I admit it, I might be tempted to try another Pastel de Nata just to check it wasn't a bad Portuguese custard tart before giving them up completely.
I think I can confirm that was my last Portuguese custard tart.

Yes, I’d be experimenting with a custard tart from elsewhere too! The ‘same thing’ can vary hugely between different shops.
Hmm.I don't really need much encouragement.

I think I can confirm that was my last Portuguese custard tart.
I have had one in Nandos and it was really good but we bought a pack from Tesco and it was very disappointing. It reminded me of the custard slices as it had what I think they call confectioners custard in it.

Every now and then I allow myself some slack re carbs A while ago I ate some pasta. It was a great disappointment. Today I bought a Portuguese Custard tart (I forget the proper name for this). Once again, I was sorely disappointed. Clearly my palate has changed. But my, what a disappointment. Whst a waste and certainly not worth the 26 carb outlay. Sigh.

Only ever had 1 Portuguese custard tart & didn't like it as it was overpoweringly sweet, that's from someone who does enjoy custard tart here in UK.

TBH does anything taste the same? But those custard tarts are totally different from ours. I sympathise though because you want that nice something but I guess with the guilt is there anything.

I make real custard - from eggs and cream and actual vanilla.
You can never go back to the coloured corn flour in milk after that.

TBH does anything taste the same? But those custard tarts are totally different from ours. I sympathise though because you want that nice something but I guess with the guilt is there anything.
So true...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back