so confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile4loubie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
these past few days have really bamboozeled me. Since saturday i have taken a total of 56 units of novarapid. Before this i would have been taking anywhere from 30 units + a day. I've been going low alot. Most of my readings have been around 5 or below. This is really scaring me as i haven't been feeling hypo when i have been. I've just been lucky that i have tested at the right times. Can anyone offer any reasons. This seems a mahusive drop in insulin.

Lou,
Its probably the warmer spring weather - it does have a huge impact on insulin absorption - dont worry - its good to have low levels - but of course as long as you catch the hypos!🙂Bev

It's just a thought, but I understand our bodies burn more fuel in winter trying to keep warm. Maybe that means higher blood sugars which, in turn, means less insulin is needed. Maybe?

Last edited:
Hi Lou,

if you haven't been feeling hypo have you checked your meter to make sure that it's still giving correct readings?

I've been feeling ill, the last few days. I'd normally take approx 120 units of novarapid over 4 days Ive taken less than half that. Had to cut down on my levemir by half two. Normally split a dose of 40 units to 20 in the morning & 20 in the evening but I've been starting to take 20 units split 10 in the morning 10 in the evening & still been going low.

For tea I had baked potato & quiche with salad & coleslaw. Before dinner was 5.6, 2 hours after dinner 8.2... taken NO insulin for this meal. last time I took insulin was at 3pm when I took 8 units for a baggette with egg mayo & bacon and a packet of monster munch.

Last edited:
Wow that is a difference. Could be the weather, but this is drastic differences, could be you are coming down with something. I know normally levels go up but with say sickness and other end (!) generally they will go down and can be for a few days before.

Just have what your body needs. Listen to your body.

You could ask your team what they can come up with maybe ! They may have some suggestions.

i will but i don't see them till 4th may x

Have you been more active? Sometimes when people are more active things change. Sorry I can't be of much help as I'm on pills

Lou, I think that's much too big a decrease to attribute to the weather - you might expect 10%, but not 50-60%. I think you should ring a DSN - the numbers were on that link you posted - and see what they say. They might arrange to see you earlier as this is very unusual and you need some professional advice. (Cakie! Make sure she rings them! 🙂)

Hi Lou

Get an emergency appointment at your Drs. They could talk to your diabetes team for you or give some advice.

Did you do that dreaded test - as I believe in the early stages requirements can drop.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Lou, I think that's much too big a decrease to attribute to the weather - you might expect 10%, but not 50-60%. I think you should ring a DSN - the numbers were on that link you posted - and see what they say. They might arrange to see you earlier as this is very unusual and you need some professional advice. (Cakie! Make sure she rings them! 🙂)

Just tried calling them, no answer.

Hi Lou

Get an emergency appointment at your Drs. They could talk to your diabetes team for you or give some advice.

Did you do that dreaded test - as I believe in the early stages requirements can drop.

Hope you get it all sorted.

No point in doing the test for at least 3 weeks =(

Last edited:
Lou,
Just a thought - have you lost weight lately? If so, this can have a big effect on your requirements.🙂Bev

Nopes, I wish I had. I need to loose some well alot

Hi Lou

You said last week *I think* that you went for a jog. Are you jogging every day? I've never had something like that happpen to me so can't really offer any suggestions for all the hypo's other than if you are doing lots of exercise.I hope you get things sorted out soon x

Been for one jog lol!!!!! will take it up again once my levels are worked out.

At least you can monitor your levels and adjust accordingly so you're doing great guns! My requirement dropped 50% last spring, but not my basal! If everything else seems okay then I wouldn't worry (but I'm no quack) maybe it's to do with being in cotrol now for a period of time and the weather and your body is a bit happier? Just continue to keep an eye on it all and I'm sure you'll be A okay.

Take care

Rossi 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back