Snacks - What to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys,

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum, the support for each other is great and the advice from people living with diabetes is invaluable.

OK - I want to canvas opinion on snacking between mealtimes.

I am recently diagnosed T1 and am on 3 daily injections of novorapid and 1 injection of levemir.

I seem to be ok in the morning after breakfast of weetabix and milk but drop mid afternoon after a lunch, which normally is a whole meal sandwich with ham and salad vegetables. I have dropped to low 4's on a few occasions and taken the decision to eat something to bring me back up, sometimes nuts, or a banana, even a couple of quality street over Christmas.

I was advised that I should only be eating 3 square meals a day and not really snacking, is this what you guys adhere to and if you do have a snack to 'put you on', what do you go for ?

Apologies if this is a silly question but I'm only two weeks in and would appreciate any help you could give me.

No silly questions Chris 🙂

I find that my BGs are controlled better if I don't snack, so I try my hardest not to, but I've always been a grazer, so it's hard to stop! If I do snack I try to eat some nuts or berries, something that I don't need to bolus for.

It may be that you're taking slightly too much novorapid with your lunch. Are you carb counting yet? Do you know what your ratios for insulin to carbs are? How are your BGs the rest of the day?

By the way, is that anpicture of you at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland? I was they myself a few months ago 🙂

Hi Vicki

Yes that's the Blue Lagoon, fab place. I was working in Iceland for a year, such an amazing country.

I thought the same that the novorapid may be too high. When I was admitted to hospital I was sky high with BG at 28 and ketones over 6, but now my BG is controlling between 7-9, still high but was advised just to concentrate on keeping BG in single figures over Christmas and to avoid going too low.

I haven't started carb counting yet but am on 7 units of novorapid before each meal.

Just trying to work things out as per what I normally have for lunch when at work. Although unfortunate to be diagnosed just before Christmas, I have been fortunate in that it's given me a couple of weeks to get used to things before thinking about work, which unfortunately starts again tomorrow.

Having read through previous posts I guess it's a case of trying to work out what snacks can be ate that won't affect my BG massively (carrot sticks, cheese, nuts?) and then those snacks that can be ate if I feel like I'm going a bit low, that will raise my BG to an acceptable level without sending it sky high, much like a glucose tablet would (not that I've had to take a glucose tablet yet)

Having read through previous posts I guess it's a case of trying to work out what snacks can be ate that won't affect my BG massively (carrot sticks, cheese, nuts?) and then those snacks that can be ate if I feel like I'm going a bit low, that will raise my BG to an acceptable level without sending it sky high, much like a glucose tablet would (not that I've had to take a glucose tablet yet)
Yes, that's about it, Chris! I find a couple of squares of Lindt 90% dark satisfy my need for chocolate if I don't need the carbs. ( or CO-op 85% which is cheaper and not quite so bitter)

You can eat snacks long as you give the insulin for it as I have and when I check my levels there almost always in range that's why the fast acting insulin is handy

Hi Guys,

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum, the support for each other is great and the advice from people living with diabetes is invaluable.

OK - I want to canvas opinion on snacking between mealtimes.

I am recently diagnosed T1 and am on 3 daily injections of novorapid and 1 injection of levemir.

I seem to be ok in the morning after breakfast of weetabix and milk but drop mid afternoon after a lunch, which normally is a whole meal sandwich with ham and salad vegetables. I have dropped to low 4's on a few occasions and taken the decision to eat something to bring me back up, sometimes nuts, or a banana, even a couple of quality street over Christmas.

I was advised that I should only be eating 3 square meals a day and not really snacking, is this what you guys adhere to and if you do have a snack to 'put you on', what do you go for ?

Apologies if this is a silly question but I'm only two weeks in and would appreciate any help you could give me.
Hi Christopher I've snacked on cheese strings, grazing pots of walnuts and cashews from asda, 4-6 squares green & blacks 85% dark chocolate and never really had a problem with it, my DSN has told me if I am hungry and fancy a snack then do so and bolus for it so I treated myself to a chocolate eclair, they will no doubt talk to you about carb counting soon so you can match you insulin to your needs it's so much better that way and about the chocolates have they discussed with you that you shouldn't really use chocolate if you ever have a hypo just because the fat in it can slow the effects so you take longer to come out of it x

This is not a silly question, if you drop too low there are consequences.

As you are hitting mid to low 4s in the mid afternoon have something small and sweet or small and carby to tide toy over to your next meal. It might also pay tp look at how much you inject and discus with the doctor or nurse reducing one of the doses.

Hi Vicki

Yes that's the Blue Lagoon, fab place. I was working in Iceland for a year, such an amazing country.

I thought the same that the novorapid may be too high. When I was admitted to hospital I was sky high with BG at 28 and ketones over 6, but now my BG is controlling between 7-9, still high but was advised just to concentrate on keeping BG in single figures over Christmas and to avoid going too low.

I haven't started carb counting yet but am on 7 units of novorapid before each meal.

Just trying to work things out as per what I normally have for lunch when at work. Although unfortunate to be diagnosed just before Christmas, I have been fortunate in that it's given me a couple of weeks to get used to things before thinking about work, which unfortunately starts again tomorrow.
Hi. Do try to get carb-counting advice as soon as you can as it's essential if you want to eat flexibly. My DN explained it in 10 minutes when she started me on insulin - it's not difficult.

Hi Guys
Many thanks for all of your replies.
I guess with being diagnosed immediately prior to the Christmas holidays it has been difficult to get quality time with the diabetic nurses. I'm sure the carb counting will be discussed with me soon. Very interesting to hear the various methods of raising your BG levels, this is very much appreciated.

A small bag of sweet and salty popcorn is my snack of choice if a little bit low but not hypo. 10g carbs but bulky and only 80 calories.

A small bag of sweet and salty popcorn is my snack of choice if a little bit low but not hypo. 10g carbs but bulky and only 80 calories.
Hi Radders,
Does the popcorn not send you too high or dies it do enough just to bring you back to within range ? Sounds good

Hi Chris, sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but you've found the right place to throw ideas around and get really, really good answers. The guys here (in my opinion) offer so much more support and knowledge than the doctors are capable of. You are in good company.

I've found that a glass of fruit juice is enough to bring my levels back up – I have a constant supply of Berry Company juices in my fridge, by my bed and in the office. Healthier than a mars bar, as I was advised by my original doc.

I also like to snack in the afternoons, so I purposefully add a little bit extra insulin at lunch, which means I can graze at my desk in the afternoons without going above my target! But it does mean that if for any reason forget to snack (!!) then the likelihood is that my BG would drop too low.

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly Christopher and your analytical approach will stand you in very good stead going forward.

While it is very important to listen to the advice and information your clinic give you, it is also VITAL that you recognise the infuriatingly individual nature of your very own Type 1 Diabetes and that very soon you will know more about it than anyone. You have already spotted a pattern and are looking to fix it which is great! The two most obvious strategies (for now!) are food and insulin. So either you need to eat a little more with/after your lunch OR you need to look at the dose you are taking and adjust that.

If you want a really thorough introduction to carb counting and are reluctant to wait for your clinic you can take a look at the online course by Bournemouth hospitals (completely free, you just need to register to track your progress through the information): http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Alternatively you can simply look at what you are already doing and make it up as you go along. And start to notice the carb values in everyday items (and which have hardly any!) as this will really help. eg:

Slice of bread: 15-18g Carbs
Average Banana: 20-30g Carbs
Medium Apple: 15-25g Carbs
Ham or cheese: 0g Carbs
Pack of crisps: 15-20g Carbs
Glucose tab: 3g-5g Carbs

So as an example... your ham sandwich would have been, say, 18g+18g carbs for the bread and nothing much for the filling. Call it 40g. Then mid afternoon you needed a banana to keep you from dropping so you added approx 30g carbs. So in total you ate 70g carbs to 'balance' the insulin dose of 7 units.

IF that's right (and it's a big 'if') this would suggest that you needed 1 unit of insulin for 10g of carbs. This may also mean, as it does for many others, that 1 unit of insulin reduces your blood glucose by approx 3-3.5mmol/L.

And those are really useful bit of information to know. Because it would mean that if you didn't want the banana then a dose of 4 units would have probably been OK. But if you took the full dose and ate no extra carbs you migh have as much as 3u sloshing around pulling your BG downwards.

Now of course this is diabetes, so it's nothing like as logical and purely mathematical as that, and you might have a different 'ratio' at different times of day, and discover plenty of exceptions to the rules. But modern intensive management relies upon discovering the ratios and correction factors that work 'most of the time' and then filling in around the edges.

You are your own science experiment! Good luck with it!

A small packet of pork scratchings might help. I know a few nibble on them . Fairly salty so I drink plenty of water which fills me also!

Hi Chris, sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but you've found the right place to throw ideas around and get really, really good answers. The guys here (in my opinion) offer so much more support and knowledge than the doctors are capable of. You are in good company.

I've found that a glass of fruit juice is enough to bring my levels back up – I have a constant supply of Berry Company juices in my fridge, by my bed and in the office. Healthier than a mars bar, as I was advised by my original doc.

I also like to snack in the afternoons, so I purposefully add a little bit extra insulin at lunch, which means I can graze at my desk in the afternoons without going above my target! But it does mean that if for any reason forget to snack (!!) then the likelihood is that my BG would drop too low.

Great advice - thanks missclb for your suggestions

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly Christopher and your analytical approach will stand you in very good stead going forward.

While it is very important to listen to the advice and information your clinic give you, it is also VITAL that you recognise the infuriatingly individual nature of your very own Type 1 Diabetes and that very soon you will know more about it than anyone. You have already spotted a pattern and are looking to fix it which is great! The two most obvious strategies (for now!) are food and insulin. So either you need to eat a little more with/after your lunch OR you need to look at the dose you are taking and adjust that.

If you want a really thorough introduction to carb counting and are reluctant to wait for your clinic you can take a look at the online course by Bournemouth hospitals (completely free, you just need to register to track your progress through the information): http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Alternatively you can simply look at what you are already doing and make it up as you go along. And start to notice the carb values in everyday items (and which have hardly any!) as this will really help. eg:

Slice of bread: 15-18g Carbs
Average Banana: 20-30g Carbs
Medium Apple: 15-25g Carbs
Ham or cheese: 0g Carbs
Pack of crisps: 15-20g Carbs
Glucose tab: 3g-5g Carbs

So as an example... your ham sandwich would have been, say, 18g+18g carbs for the bread and nothing much for the filling. Call it 40g. Then mid afternoon you needed a banana to keep you from dropping so you added approx 30g carbs. So in total you ate 70g carbs to 'balance' the insulin dose of 7 units.

IF that's right (and it's a big 'if') this would suggest that you needed 1 unit of insulin for 10g of carbs. This may also mean, as it does for many others, that 1 unit of insulin reduces your blood glucose by approx 3-3.5mmol/L.

And those are really useful bit of information to know. Because it would mean that if you didn't want the banana then a dose of 4 units would have probably been OK. But if you took the full dose and ate no extra carbs you migh have as much as 3u sloshing around pulling your BG downwards.

Now of course this is diabetes, so it's nothing like as logical and purely mathematical as that, and you might have a different 'ratio' at different times of day, and discover plenty of exceptions to the rules. But modern intensive management relies upon discovering the ratios and correction factors that work 'most of the time' and then filling in around the edges.

You are your own science experiment! Good luck with it!

Hi Mike, some great info there whilst I'm finding my feet. Thanks. Really appreciate it

Hi Radders,
Does the popcorn not send you too high or dies it do enough just to bring you back to within range ? Sounds good

I can usually handle 10 g if I'm in the low 4s with active insulin on board but I wouldn't eat it without bolusing in any other circumstances. It doesn't seem to be digested all that quickly, perhaps because of the fibre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back