smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbell84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i know i have a horrible habit but has anyone had any problems with having diabetes and smoking? I know there's a massive campaign going on about how to suit but, dare i say it, i still enjoy it x x

i know i have a horrible habit but has anyone had any problems with having diabetes and smoking? I know there's a massive campaign going on about how to suit but, dare i say it, i still enjoy it x x

I was a smoker for 20 years, but stopped 14 years ago. Now that I have diabetes I realise what a good move that was. I had abnormal ECGs in hospital and raised troponin levels, suggesting I might have had a heart attack, so they gave me an angiogram. This showed two main arteries to be fine, but one showing slight 'furring'. The cardiologist said it was likely this was due to my former smoking.

I know you probably know all this already, but smoking really isn't worth it and is going to be so much worse for you with diabetes. As I see it, you might as well not bother to keep your BG within range if you're going to smoke. A bit harsh, I know, and you probably expected someone to say this!

Read 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr. Every reason you think you can come up with to allow you to keep smoking is debunked. That includes the illusion that you enjoy it, it helps you concentrate, it releives stress...and all the rest! At the end of the book (and it's a short book!), you'll be looking forward to stopping. I tried many times before to stop - willpower, patches etc. and this was what worked for me - it'll cost less than a packet of cigarettes, so please, please give it a try!

Hi Hellbell
I smoked 20 cigs a day for 50 years, but the day I was rushed to hospital just over 3 years ago and diagnosed with diabetes was the day I gave up, and I have not smoked or missed a ciggy from that day, I had no help, no patches, just sheer will power. I cannot say that I feel any better for it, but I'm sure there must be benefits somewhere along the line. Although I have stopped and can no longer stand the smell of smoke, I still defend the right of others to smoke if they so choose.
John

Hi Hellbell,
I am sure your expecting lots of negative feedback regarding smoking - and i wont dissapoint you! Alex's nan died 18 months ago from lung cancer - due entirely to smoking - she smoked 60 a day for 40 years (she told us it was 30 - but we knew she meant double that!) - she had also had 3 heart attacks due entirely to smoking!
She died within 5 months of diagnosis. And she never knew that her grandson was going to have diabetes - and i would do anything in the world to have her here now to support us through all of this. I valued her opinions and her advice - and at a time when we needed her the most - she cant be with us.
So please try to stop smoking - you know the risks - and i know just how difficult it will be - but your lungs will start to clear the second you give up and could even get back to healthy lung tissue - and it will be much better for your diabetes as that is one less complication to have to worry about!:)Bev

I know it's yet another of life's pleasures but I smoked a pipe (and inhaled the smoke) for 52 years. Stopped at 08:10 on 16 October 2006 as I was about to leave home for hospital and nasal surgery.

As with my alcohol addiction, it was darned hard to stop. Only the new 'domestic situation' made it worth doing. Much more and the liver would be useless.
I still occasionally, after 18 years, yearn for a few drams. It's not easy but you obviously realise how smoking could have an effect on your diabetic symptoms.

Kojak,
I just wanted to say 'well done' to you for kicking both addictions. I know how difficult it must have been for you. A family member was an alcoholic for 30 years almost - he wasnt pleasant to be with - but then he stopped 19 years ago - and he is a changed man! He also stopped smoking and is a complete health freak now - and he looks as fit as a fiddle and has probably extended his life expectancy by about 20 years! So congratulations and stay healthy!:) Bev

Hi Hellbell

I started smoking at 15 years old and smoked approx 30 a day for 20 years. I gave up about 4 years ago. I have asthma now due to smoking and gum disease. The smoking masked both for years which is one of the biggest reasons people go back to smoking.

Not one of my friends or family ever thought I would give up, I never even tried, it was my one vice. However I always knew I would give up but never knew when. 7 November I gave up. It was a Monday, I opened my eyes and thought 'oh its today'. It wasn't planned. I smoked the last 6 in my box during the day at work. I got home and did the most awful thing (smokers will kind of understand this) I went through the ash tray and finished all the longest fag buts. At half past six on 7 November I had had my last cigarette.

I can never ever touch another one. I would be back on 20 or 30 a day immediately. I can't go near smokers now but not because I'm tempted but because of my asthma.

However telling you that won't make you stop. Nothing anyone says here will make you stop, only smokers will understand that. Its like being overweight. I eat now, that is my vice, I'm obese. I don't know whats worse, being obese or smoking quite frankly. Neither are good if you have diabetes. My doctor won't refer me for a gastric band until I have heart disease or diabetes................. I try every day to lose weight and find it so much harder than giving up smoking ever was.

If you know that one day you'll give up, then you will. At first you will be so fidgity, there will be a huge hole in your life just from the smoking, amazing really. Give it a week, then go week by week, I did.

Take care

i started a thread on this and nobody bothered cause i got 1 negative bit of useless unhelpfulless i deleted it thats why i keep quiet these days.

me again i actually started smoking again after 24 month of not and actually this was 3 days after i was diagnosed i stopped due to a bad cough and i wasnt sure if it might of been causing my hypos ehich where daily , stopped now though i go through phases its weird but i aint touching again ,

Cigs raise BG and raise your cholesterol. All of your blood tests will basically be knackered until you stop.

But I still enjoy it which is why e-cigs interested me so much:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/forum/Blah.pl?b-ott/m-1235914158/

(Note: Admin - let me know if this link is a problem. I need to get around to blogging it instead anyway)

wow what a response! One of you guys mentioned a gastric band, to me, its either smoke or eat, i have serious issues about my weight so choose smoking, admittedely its a rubbish way of thinkin but it, to me is a way of treating myself instead of having a choc bar etc. In my head it's either smoke or eat. It sounds awful now that i've read it out loud but i'm just being honest with you, i'm quite aware that its an awful habit and i'm mot going to make any excuses for myself but at least i've said it out loud now! :-(

wow what a response! One of you guys mentioned a gastric band, to me, its either smoke or eat, i have serious issues about my weight so choose smoking, admittedely its a rubbish way of thinkin but it, to me is a way of treating myself instead of having a choc bar etc. In my head it's either smoke or eat. It sounds awful now that i've read it out loud but i'm just being honest with you, i'm quite aware that its an awful habit and i'm mot going to make any excuses for myself but at least i've said it out loud now! :-(

I think it's been mentioned before how there are great programmes and incentives to stop smoking, but little in comparison to help people keep their weight at healthy levels. I think that, of the two 'evils' overeating and potential weight gain is preferable to smoking. At least the body has evolved to deal with being fed (although maybe not some of the foods and quantities we eat today), but it was never designed for smoking. Yes, I know, ex-smokers are the worst for getting on their high horse about this topic!:p

Hiya Hellbell

You are doing and saying everything I ever said as a smoker. I wouldn't worry about justifying yourself. People who have never smoked don't get it, which is fine, and most ex smokers understand what its like. I used to think exactly the same as you ie smoking or eating so I always said smoking, did for years and years hence so many a day. Every time I fancied something to eat I picked up a fag. I always ate whatever I wanted anyway. I've had weight issues for years as well as smoking, same as you. You are halfway there but realising it is all actually in your head. I know my weight problems are in my head. Help with weight is crap, if you are overweight of course. Only previously vastly overweight people understand and can help, it's no good a skinny person who has never had a problem giving you a diet sheet and saying that will work.............

You'll get there one day, if you are overweight and smoke, its probably time to give one of them up. Believe me smoking is a damn site easier than the weight so go for the smoking, give it up. Once you've sorted that, then we can all tackle the weight together.

Why I can't lose weight I have no idea. I know the consequences can be type 2 diabetes, I know all about diabetes looking after my daughter, why on earth can't I get it in my thick head that I need to lose the weight. Doesn't make sense does it. Sorry I have rambled again. Off to bed now, I'm knackered.

thank you for the advice adrienne i appreciate that you seemed to have walked in my shoes in the past, had my last one last night, i have to see how it goes. One thing at a time i guess. Cheers people x

thank you for the advice adrienne i appreciate that you seemed to have walked in my shoes in the past, had my last one last night, i have to see how it goes. One thing at a time i guess. Cheers people x

Good luck hellbell! The way I looked at it was - 'Withdrawal symptoms? Bring it on!' I decided to love every moment of the withdrawal sensations, the worse they tried to make me feel, the better! It really does make you feel strong and it takes 3 weeks to lose your addiction to nicotine - people can put up with you for that length of time, so go for it!:D We'll support you all the way!:)

Delighted for you hellbell84.
You have my full support.
It isn't easy; you think you've got it sorted, find yourself in a new situation and all too often with idiots who try to tell you "just one won't hurt".

Hi Hellbell

Good for you. If it helps start a new thread and every day post, 'another day done'. :D

The first 3 days are worst, the next 5 are bit more bearable, into week 2 feeling good about yourself, a whole week gone. Week three bit dodgy but you are stronger and can say no. After that no problem. After 3 months you will get to one day and think 'I haven't thought about smoking for 3 days'. No problem.

I used to think that I was giving up a friend when I stopped but what friend is trying to kill you!!!!

Slowly slowly and day at a time.

Good luck and we're here for support as the others have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back