Smokers have thinner brain cortex and could have impaired thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A key part of the brain that is needed for thinking skills is smaller in smokers, new research has found.

The findings show that smoking has an impact on brain functioning — as well as the heart and lungs.

The outer brain layer or brain cortex is thinner in smokers, researchers have found. And while some of the thickness might come back after they quit, that might not happen.

A new study by researchers at the University of Edinburgh looked at the MRI scans of smokers with an average age of 73. The scans, alongside careful image analysis and statistical models, found that those that smoked tended to have a thinner brain cortex.

Those that had given up for time had a thicker cortex than those that gave up recently, even if they had been smoking for longer, giving scientists hope that the thickness of the layer could recover over time if smokers give up. But researchers said that they needed more repeat studies to understand fully how the brain recovers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...nd-could-have-impaired-thinking-10039128.html

Impared thinking I dont think so. This is just more anti smoking trivia.
Look whats been discovered, invented, achieved since the turn of the centry. Aircraft, warfare, transport, shipping, construction, space flight all these people were heavy smokers in them days. If you didnt smoke then there was something wrong with you. The medical proffesion were some of the worst offenders as I remember.

Impared thinking I dont think so. This is just more anti smoking trivia.
Look whats been discovered, invented, achieved since the turn of the centry. Aircraft, warfare, transport, shipping, construction, space flight all these people were heavy smokers in them days. If you didnt smoke then there was something wrong with you. The medical proffesion were some of the worst offenders as I remember.

To be fair, this study was looking at over 70s. Not sure how many people that age contributed significantly to the things you mention?

It could be that this proposed affect on thinking is not apparent earlier.

Im almost 70 and the aerospace design team I was part of working on Concord at Filton were the heaviest smokers ever yet we built the plane the Americans could not build. Then there was the TSR2, Harrier, Airbus, VC10, BAC 1-11, Tornado, Typhoon the list goes on.

I think you misunderstood me, Austin. I was pointing out that this study was looking at 70+ year olds. This appears to show that they have thinning of the cortex now, not when they were younger.

As far as I can read, this study says nothing about what was going on when they were younger. So, there is no reason to presume that this thinning process has any effect when a person is younger and doing all the things you say.

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back