Smartwatch Alarms - Is it possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Lester

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I’m new here so apologies if this has been asked before.

Is it possible to set up a Freestyle Libre 2 with a smart watch only, and receive alarms via the watch if no phone is connected?

I am due to go on holiday soon and I would like to leave my phone at home.

If it is possible does anyone have any recommendations? I like the look of the Montblanc Summit 3 but I don’t want to pay money for the watch, if it isn’t possible to get the phone to alarm.

Unfortunately Google hasn’t provided me with any information so hopefully someone here can advise me.

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks Bruce, it looks like my phone will be coming with me then At least I’ve saved money on not buying a smartwatch.

Thanks Bruce, it looks like my phone will be coming with me then
I'm afraid so, yes. I have a smartwatch and rather like it (I can see my BG and the arrow just by glancing at it, and I have it vibrate for alarms which I find nicer than sounds) but I still carry my phone around (it's hard to look at the graphs on the watch, for example, even if I trusted the watch to work on its own).

Hello, I’m new here so apologies if this has been asked before.

Is it possible to set up a Freestyle Libre 2 with a smart watch only, and receive alarms via the watch if no phone is connected?

I am due to go on holiday soon and I would like to leave my phone at home.

If it is possible does anyone have any recommendations? I like the look of the Montblanc Summit 3 but I don’t want to pay money for the watch, if it isn’t possible to get the phone to alarm.

Unfortunately Google hasn’t provided me with any information so hopefully someone here can advise me.

Thanks,
Rob
Morning Rob,

Yes it is possible I have done it with Xdrip on Libre 2 it works well and is accurate for me, I have been using it for years, I use a Toc smart watch.

Morning Rob,

Yes it is possible I have done it with Xdrip on Libre 2 it works well and is accurate for me, I have been using it for years, I use a Toc smart watch.

Thank you for your reply and the link. This is great news.

@AceFace is xDrip usable without a phone and connecting directly to a smart watch as the OP requests?
The instructions you shared seemed to suggest you need a phone and this was the configuration I used.
Yes you can push it direct to your phone I have done it but I normally have my phone with me, it takes a little getting round your head with the settings but once you do it works well, also you can calibrate it, you need the phone to set it up.

Yes you can push it direct to your phone I have done it but I normally have my phone with me, it takes a little getting round your head with the settings but once you do it works well, also you can calibrate it, you need the phone to set it up.
Do you mean "you can push it directly to your watch "?

Do you mean "you can push it directly to your watch "?
The main XDrip+ app needs to be installed on a phone, and then it "pushes" the Android Wear app to the watch and installs it, and the watch can then take control of the libre2 directly.

At least that is my understanding of how things used to work, I believe there was some sort of change regarding how the Android Wear app needs to be installed with a recent update (from Google).

I've never actually tried, as I don't own an Android smartwatch, so my explanation is somewhat hazy. Actual instructions here: https://xdrip.readthedocs.io/en/latest/smartwatch/wearinstall/#method-2-with-a-computer

I've never actually tried, as I don't own an Android smartwatch
I have (though not with Xdrip+ recently). I used Wear Installer 2 (which you install on your phone, from the play store), and with a fair amount of fiddling it's possible to use that to install things on a watch that aren't in the play store. For a Pixel Watch there's an extra security thing now, but both are shown clearly in YouTube videos of the process. (It may well be that for other brands of watch connecting via a computer works more easily but I don't think it's possible with the Pixel Watch.)

Whether you use your phone to collect data from your sensor or your watch, the thing to remember is that using your watch alone is that these Apps drain your battery much quicker, so if you are out and about when your phone runs out of battery you have no data.

I use Dexcom G7 with an Apple phone and an Apple watch, so when I installed the G7App on my phone, it automatically appeared on my watch. So when my watch needs recharging (which is more frequent if I leave the App running) I can still get data from my phone. I usually put my phone on its charging dock when i go to bed, so it's always adequately charged for 24 hours, and still picks up data and alarms in the night. I do the same with my watch.

I have a Garmin watch for running. As well as letting me know when I receive a message it also lets me know of low (and presumably high) glucose events as they come through to my phone, which I always have with me. Obviously it would not work without the phone being in close proximit.

@AceFace, I’m going to give this a go. I’ve looked on AppStore and I can’t find XDrip, does it go by a different name or is it not available on Apple?

Thanks

@AceFace, I’m going to give this a go. I’ve looked on AppStore and I can’t find XDrip, does it go by a different name or is it not available on Apple?

Thanks
Xdrip is open source, its not supported by Apple or any company. You need to install using testflight or build and install from source code. If you go the source code route then you need a Apple developer account, I think the testflight route is full.

Thanks
It's xDrip4ioS you're looking for, but as said, not available in the AppStore. More info from the xDrip4ioS Facebook group. Or download Shuggah from the Appstore - it's a version of xDrip4ioS that many get on fine with.

Thanks
Morning Rob I haven't used it with Apple but I know people who do, I will find out and get the details, it's much simpler on Android, I will find out how they did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back