Smart Watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Has anybody bought an EWatch which measures Blood Glucose levels. They look interesting.

Welcome to the forum 🙂

Unfortunately, If you read the small print you’ll find they have no proven scientific evidence and are no where near accurate

Has anybody bought an EWatch which measures Blood Glucose levels. They look interesting.

Welcome @Andian 🙂 None of those glucose-measuring watches are successful yet. Don’t waste your money. Stick to a tried and tested glucose meter🙂

Are you on any medication for your diabetes? If you could afford it, another option is the Libre sensor. Some Type 2s use this. If you could give a little information about how long you’ve been diagnosed, any diabetes meds you’re on, if you’re currently testing with a finger-pricker and home glucose meter, etc, that would be helpful.

Thankyou Lily and Inka. I was diagnosed 10 weeks ago and finding it difficult to come to terms with, probably the same as everyone. I like to test every morning on waking just to keep a check on levels. My Diabetes Nurse said I don’t need to but how else am I going to know if I’m doing the right things. Seeing these watches I just wondered how they panned out. Maybe one day.

You’re being very sensible testing @Andian Some healthcare professionals don’t recommend it for Type 2s, but lots of Type 2s here do test and they find the information it provides very helpful. You could, if you wished, also test to see how certain meals affect your blood sugar. Test just before you start eating, and test again 2hrs after the start time of your meal, eg if you have your breakfast at 7am, test just before starting it and again at 9am. Ideally, your blood sugar should only have gone up 2 or 3mmol by the two hour point.

I think the advertisers must be pushing these quite hard at the moment / we are getting quite a few mentions. Unfortunately the promotional hype is likely to significantly exceed the performance of the devices currently being promoted :(

It is worth bearing in mind that:

• There is currently no regulation for this technology to be tested for accuracy in the same way that glucose sensors (CGM and Flash) are.
  • Where accuracy data is available and from customer reviews, this technology does not currently provide accurate enough data (especially for anyone living with type 1 diabetes)
  • People should continue to use the blood glucose monitoring equipment supplied by their diabetes teams.
  • If an individual with type 2 diabetes is considering purchasing one as a guide, they should discuss this with their diabetes healthcare professional. We should also make them aware of this GOV.UK webpage - Know what you're buying!which has information to help people buy medicines and medical devices online safely. Please note – this is not an endorsement of buying medicines/medical devices online – it is information on what people should look out for and check when looking at these products online
  • We would not recommend purchasing as a gift for a friend with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back