Smart watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinty2001

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I’ve just got a smart watch delivered. I mentioned to pharmacist about using it to record my BP. He said it’s not as good as meter. It’s taken my blood glucose and it’s 5.6 shortly after eating fruit and yogurt. My BP is 141/80 still not great but matches up with BP monitor. I’m shocked at how accurate this is and it was very cheap off of a social media discount website.

None of the smart watches can accurately record blood sugar @Jinty2001 They just create a random number.
I’m not unduly worried Inka. . I am in remission and the only way I could test its accuracy is by using my finger prick test. I will test it when I feel more like it. Having a tired day today

@Inka immediately after my meal finger prick test 10 .8 using watch 5.8. How very dangerous if a smart watch was all a diabetic used

Yes, they’re totally inaccurate and could definitely lull people into a false sense of security.

There was also feature a out these on Rip Off Britain recently. None of these watches have approval by medical bodies.
Some of the ads on Facebook claimed that they were FDA approved. If they weren't straight out lying, I presume the approval was of the form "won't cause the user's hand to fall off" or something.

It’s not too far out with my blood pressure but the pharmacist who is prescribing and dealing with my BP warned against it for BP as well. They’re not expensive. They range from about £8 I paid £26 and that was half price but it really doesn’t do what it says on the tin.

Those prices seem really low to me even if it was a watch for steps and exercise tracking. Let alone one for monitoring other things.
£8 is silly, but £26 is probably about the price of a Xiaomi Band. Not far off, anyway, and they're usually considered decent. (Not BP (and obviously no attempt at BG) but they have the other stuff you'd expect.)

Those prices seem really low to me even if it was a watch for steps and exercise tracking. Let alone one for monitoring other things.
It was on Wowcher . There’s loads of them reduced

I have no idea what Wowcher it does make it a legitimate product.
Previous posts on the forum suggest most of these products are sold via Facebook and such.
I think Wowcher is a bit like Groupon were you get a voucher for a hugely discounted price for things.

Previous posts on the forum suggest most of these products are sold via Facebook and such.
It sells at discounted prices nothing to do with legitimacy !

Reduced because they don’t work…
Well I just proved it. It’s one that claims to do these medical things. Worth knowing to let people know it doesn’t work in medical terms. It has other uses.

You can google Wowcher or group on , Its not exclusive

Or better not to Google such sites. Artificial Intelligence (AI) will pick up your search, interpret that as an expression of interest, link that 'expression of interest' to a huge array of sites wanting to sell you stuff and set your account as an opportunity for the world to pester you to buy their stuff and for scammers to target you.

I bought a pair of trousers from Wowcher about 3 yrs ago. A huge mistake. Correct label inside for what I'd ordered, but no resemblance to the tried and trusted size I wanted! I tried and tried to return them and get my money back, but wrestled with questionnaires about what was actually wrong until eventually they said one of my answers had stated the product was OK and no return was possible. In practice the fixed questions provided no opportunity to explain the problem of wrong actual size. The label was correct so the trousers were correct as far as Wowcher were concerned!! Wowcher's techniques make the DVLA ambiguities in its licence renewal process seem acceptable. It took a further 3+ months to get Wowcher emails, notifications and "appearances"within almost every Web search I made finally cleaned out of my phone and synced tablet. Their processes seem friendly and innocuous; WRONG. They are devious, pervasive and right on the cusp of fraudulent. AI makes it easy for them to do this - this is the price of technical progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back