Smart watch query

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuarta

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi guys,

I'm just looking for some advice for my father who has had Type1 for 30+ years but recently is struggling to manage his readings and subsequently having more and more hypos.

We have him set up with Libre 2 and the reader as he doesn't have a smartphone but now the clinic is asking for live readings so we've set him up with an old smartphone. However he seems to be struggling with the phone and keeps forgetting to have the phone on his person.

I was kinda hoping that we could use a smart watch which would be easier for him to remember but I'm not sure if they will work independently of the phone and alleviate the need to carry the smartphone.

Hopefully someone here can advise

Many thanks

After forgetting my phone a few times and causing gaps in sensor readings, I opted for a low-tech solution and bought a phone holder that is attached to my trouser belt. I put the phone in there when I wake. Since I started doing that I haven’t forgotten it once.

After forgetting my phone a few times and causing gaps in sensor readings, I opted for a low-tech solution and bought a phone holder that is attached to my trouser belt. I put the phone in there when I wake. Since I started doing that I haven’t forgotten it once.
That's probably easiest. For the moment I just put my phone in a pocket (back pocket of my trousers, when I'm not wearing a coat) but I can imagine a phone holder being more comfortable sometimes. (Phones aren't getting smaller or lighter any more, sadly.)

To the best of my knowledge. There is no independent smart watch that uses the librelink app? There are 3rd party apps that can send to a watch from the phone. (But this has more practical use for the patient than the clinic.)
It is possible to scan the sensor to "backfill" any lost data, up to 8 hours?
I tend to wear at least one item of clothing with a phone sized pocket.

I think the newer sensors (libre 3/dexcom g7) are looking at 'straight to smart watch') but not sure they are there yet. You can do it via the phone but that doesn't help. Also, i've heard people say smarts watchs can lag lose display etc etc
You can get a reader in place of the phone...i think they are smaller, with probably better battery life, but do less.

He did originally have the reader but the clinic are saying they want live figures but I'll double-check.

At the moment looks like he's struggling with the phone and not reading. The app today showing only one logbook entry and going sky high

He did originally have the reader but the clinic are saying they want live figures but I'll double-check.

At the moment looks like he's struggling with the phone and not reading. The app today showing only one logbook entry and going sky high
The logbook will only show readings that he scans, it’s fine for it not to show anything so long as the graph is filled in. If he doesn’t take the phone about with him then he needs to set a reminder to scan it every 8 hrs.

Yeah I think that's it, he's waking the phone up and just using the figure on the screen at the time so seems sufficient.

When the patch needs renewing I might try and setup both reader and phone as it sounds like it can be done. At least he has both options then

Yeah I think that's it, he's waking the phone up and just using the figure on the screen at the time so seems sufficient.

When the patch needs renewing I might try and setup both reader and phone as it sounds like it can be done. At least he has both options then
I only use the reader. I then plug it in to my laptop regularly with the charging cable, and upload the data to Libreview, and when I first set it up with the hospital, they gave me their code, to enter into the set up, which allows them to access the data from there. This might be an option if you can ask the hospital for their code.

yes thank @Robin that's what I'm going to confirm with the hospital later. I've just downloaded the data through my laptop to fill in the gaps before the phone was used. I need to check what they want, I can't imagine they have someone sat there watching live data and the historical data (even if weekly) will be sufficient.

The portal looks very powerful as well and makes interesting reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back