Smart watch alarms with libreview 2

Ian S

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have an iphone which gives me an alarm when my bg is high or low. However, at nightime I sometimes don’t hear it as I am hard of hearing. I was thinking of getting a smart watch so I could wear it overnight and was wondering whether it would vibrate on my wrist and thus wake me up. Can anybody tell me whether or not this will work and if so what model of watch to buy?

Sorry - I'm not au fait with I Phones and watches - there are a few apps for Android that can connect to smart watches (Jugguco I use, with GlucoDataHandler and G Watch Wear) - maybe XDrip+ app may work (but I am guessing!) - good luck Ian

I use the libre iPhone App with a Huawei Watch GT4. It sends me an alert in the same way as it would for a text or message. Can't remember if it vibrates. It's probably in the options somewhere as I can have 'silent' alerts for calls. It does need to be in range of the phone rather than the glucose monitor. The other thing I do sometimes is use a tablet with a 'second' login as its a bit louder and lets me set different alarms from the phone.

Would a flashing light wake you?

Settings > Accessibility > Audio & Visual > LED Flash for alerts

Way back in the mists of time when CGM was almost unheard of in the UK I would read posts from US diabetes advocates saying that they would put their Dexcom receiver in a glass on their bedside table which made a substantially louder rattling noise.

Might that help if your phone fits a pint glass or similar?

In theory a smart watch should vibrate. (Though I still haven’t worked that part out with mine.) though I can hear my phone. If you have a headphone jack output on your phone, you could try plugging into a larger speaker? A lot of newer phones have dispensed with the headphone jacks. But you could try pairing with a Bluetooth speaker that packs a punch with the volume?

It’s certainly more discrete than having “Dubstep” pumping from the pocket during a meeting too.
Yes. I must admit I mostly changed the one on the watch because the default (whether it's from the watch or from Juggluco) is a really startling siren.

I wear the watch when I'm dancing and occasionally it vibrates then. My partner will notice but at least not be too startled, and it doesn't disrupt anyone else dancing.

Way back in the mists of time when CGM was almost unheard of in the UK I would read posts from US diabetes advocates saying that they would put their Dexcom receiver in a glass on their bedside table which made a substantially louder rattling noise.

Might that help if your phone fits a pint glass or similar?
I found my late Dad's elderly (suitably bashed and chipped!) tin mug was an excellent loudspeaker for either my phone or Reader. I also use it when I'm gardening; it's robust enough for being outdoors and if I'm weeding I can move away a fair bit and still hear the alerts.

I found my late Dad's elderly (suitably bashed and chipped!) tin mug was an excellent loudspeaker for either my phone or Reader. I also use it when I'm gardening; it's robust enough for being outdoors and if I'm weeding I can move away a fair bit and still hear the alerts.
Where I used to work there was a beaten up home stereo set up in a workshop. I got a cheap fob sized Bluetooth receiver and hooked it up to the auxiliary with the stereo? I could stream my music taste & the alerts would override the music dropping it out. The same happens with ear buds.

Yes. I must admit I mostly changed the one on the watch because the default (whether it's from the watch or from Juggluco) is a really startling siren.

I wear the watch when I'm dancing and occasionally it vibrates then. My partner will notice but at least not be too startled, and it doesn't disrupt anyone else dancing.
I’ve actually just last night worked out the settings on my watch. Which was great because earlier the vibrate happened saw my heading south BG, which normally vibes then sounds alarms when triggered with the phone. Grabbed my phone out of pocket & snoozed just at the “klaxon” started. Discreet! 🙂

Can I ask what make and model smart watch that does this?
It's the Pixel Watch running Juggluco. (I also use Juggluco on my phone which unfortunately seems to prevent LibreLink from doing the Bluetooth so to keep that working I have to scan every 8 hours. LibreLink isn't required: Juggluco can supply data to LibreView, can scan Novopens, can produce the same data. I just prefer LibreLink's interface.)

Back