Small grumble

Ccash

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as type 2 in May, I am diet controlled. I was advised by the pharmacist when I picked up a prescription for something else to apply for medical exemption certificate. I dutifully filled in the form. Didn't hear anything. I downloaded the NHS app this evening. Find a communication on it to say my GP had declined it as it wasn't appropriate. I reread the scanned form and realise I have ticked the wrong box (diabetes insipidus not mellitus) I also read the bit where it excludes those who control by diet.

Feeling irritated that no-one thought to tell me it had been rejected but also feeling silly for not reading the form correctly. I'm dyslexic. I am just finding communication from my GP is poor in relation to diabetes. In my diagnosis appointment she said 'I am going to have to code you as diabetic'. The more I think about it the odder I think this phrase is.

Sorry minor grumble over I know their are bigger issues in life but wanted to get it off my chest.

I was diagnosed as type 2 in May, I am diet controlled. I was advised by the pharmacist when I picked up a prescription for something else to apply for medical exemption certificate. I dutifully filled in the form. Didn't hear anything. I downloaded the NHS app this evening. Find a communication on it to say my GP had declined it as it wasn't appropriate. I reread the scanned form and realise I have ticked the wrong box (diabetes insipidus not mellitus) I also read the bit where it excludes those who control by diet.

Feeling irritated that no-one thought to tell me it had been rejected but also feeling silly for not reading the form correctly. I'm dyslexic. I am just finding communication from my GP is poor in relation to diabetes. In my diagnosis appointment she said 'I am going to have to code you as diabetic'. The more I think about it the odder I think this phrase is.

Sorry minor grumble over I know their are bigger issues in life but wanted to get it off my chest.
I think the phrase will just mean that it goes on your medical record and that then entitles you to foot check, retinal eye screening and another HbA1C test three months after your diagnosis to check if the dietary changes you have made are being effective.
Yes unless you are on diabetic medication you don't qualify for exemption, it is usually the other way round they fail to tell people they are.
How are you getting on with your dietary approach to managing your condition, I suppose it is early days yet but if you are following a low carb regime then this link may be of interest if you haven't already seen it. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Back