Slow release metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Does anyone take slow release Metformin twice a day?
It's not making sense to me. If slow rease remains active for about 12 hours and fast release 6. Wouldn't it be more effective to take slow release twice a day.

Both kinds of metformin take weeks to build up in your system, they don’t just work for a few hours then run out. The only reason standard metformin is taken twice a day is the side effects really. Standard metformin is taken all at once because that doesn’t cause side effects usually.

You can take it twice a day if you want though, I take one with lunch and one with dinner. It doesn’t work any differently it’s just that it fits better in my pill case like that as I only take one other tablet at lunch and more at dinner

That's interesting lucyr. I've been reading a few medical research journals and they suggest that fast release is past through the system after 6 hours and slow release 12hrs , I read such conflicting information. Thanks for your reply. Im thinking of splitting my dose. It might be more psychological then.

That's interesting lucyr. I've been reading a few medical research journals and they suggest that fast release is past through the system after 6 hours and slow release 12hrs , I read such conflicting information. Thanks for your reply. Im thinking of splitting my dose. It might be more psychological then.
The NHS advice is to take extended release with your evening meal. The profile of release is likely to be slightly different for individuals but it seems 4-8 hours after taking is when it peaks in activity though it stays in the system for many more hours.
The suggesting of taking all at once is it improves compliance of people taking them.

That's interesting lucyr. I've been reading a few medical research journals and they suggest that fast release is past through the system after 6 hours and slow release 12hrs ,
The tablet itself might have passed through but the effect the tablet has builds up over time it doesn’t just work for 6 or 12 hours

Does anyone take slow release Metformin twice a day?
It's not making sense to me. If slow rease remains active for about 12 hours and fast release 6. Wouldn't it be more effective to take slow release twice a day.
Hi, yes, I take 2x500mg slow release metformin morning and evening as my GP told me too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back