Slimming World V Low carb diet

Robval

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Advice please I have been going to SW and lost two stones but last week our Health Centre had a talk fon weight loss for diabetics, The talk by a retired gp who has studied nutrition and written a book on it and our local doctor. The talk was urging us all to follow low carb diet. Now my dilemma is that SW follows a diet where you can have unlimited pasta, rice, potatoes. Not sure now what to do as I feel I need the weekly meetings and weigh ins that I get at SW plus the social interaction, but fully understand the reasoning for low card. Interestingly I first went to SW via gp referral which gave me free 12 weeks. Any advice appreciated.

There’s no one right diet @Robval You need to find what works for you as an individual 🙂 How’s your blood sugar at the moment?

Just as a note, there are plenty of people who’ve written about The Diet To End All Diets for Type 2. They all have their own ideas - low carb, higher carb and very low fat, low calorie, etc etc. Again, choose your own individual diet - the one that is right for you. If SW is working and your blood sugar is ok, you don’t have to change unless you want to.

Advice please I have been going to SW and lost two stones but last week our Health Centre had a talk fon weight loss for diabetics, The talk by a retired gp who has studied nutrition and written a book on it and our local doctor. The talk was urging us all to follow low carb diet. Now my dilemma is that SW follows a diet where you can have unlimited pasta, rice, potatoes. Not sure now what to do as I feel I need the weekly meetings and weigh ins that I get at SW plus the social interaction, but fully understand the reasoning for low card. Interestingly I first went to SW via gp referral which gave me free 12 weeks. Any advice appreciated.
if SW is working 4u and your BG is in range i would keep going Mind you i would seek advice from DSN

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Many congrats on your excellent weight loss! It sounds like Slimming World is working well for you on that front and weight loss should help your diabetes, but it might be useful to know if that is reflected in your diabetes blood tests.
How long have you been diagnosed and what is your most recent HbA1c result and how does that compare to your previous result(s)?.
The HbA1c is the blood test used to diagnose and monitor your diabetes management and will usually be a number in excess of 47mmols/mol if you have a diabetes diagnosis.

I went to numerous slimming clubs and scarcely lost any weight - disobeyed all the rules for weightloss (AKA doing Atkins) and lost every time but frantic HCPs assured me that it was a fad diet and dangerous.
For me, I needed to reduce my blood glucose before I could lose weight - and when I did it was effortless.
To my mind, however, weightloss and glucose control are not the same thing - not for me.
If your slimming world diet is also controlling your blood glucose levels then you have a win-win situation if you can stick to it and lose weight.

We have members who have found Slimming World very effective, and others who didn’t get on with it at all.

And low carb is just the same. It suits many members here, and they get the results they are looking for in terms of weight and blood glucose - but for others it just doesn’t work for them.

You’ve got to find the system that works for you, then amend / adjust / and adapt it to personalise the general principles and get the results you are looking for 🙂

Well done on losing the 2 stones. Have you set yourself a target of how much you’d like to lose overall?

It all depends on whether the SW regime is effective on reducing your HbA1C down to a normal level, however SW do say they have suitable regimes for those with Type 2 diabetes which you should tell your SW consultant that applies to you.
There may then be some modifications to the SW menu by making substitutions for those high carb foods which many who are Type 2 avoid. So butternut squash instead of potatoes, cauliflower rice instead of rice or any colour, edamame or black bean pasta instead of wheat or pea pasta. The main difference then is the low fat v normal fat, fat does not convert to glucose so no need for low fat as low fat can be higher carb though not always.

Many congrats on your excellent weight loss! It sounds like Slimming World is working well for you on that front and weight loss should help your diabetes, but it might be useful to know if that is reflected in your diabetes blood tests.
How long have you been diagnosed and what is your most recent HbA1c result and how does that compare to your previous result(s)?.
The HbA1c is the blood test used to diagnose and monitor your diabetes management and will usually be a number in excess of 47mmols/mol if you have a diabetes diagnosis.
Thank you for reply I have been type 2 over 30 years and currently on Metformin. I cannot remember my last reading as I don’t have meter ( our HC won’t issue them unless you are likely to go hypo) and my last check was November so expecting appt soon.

It all depends on whether the SW regime is effective on reducing your HbA1C down to a normal level, however SW do say they have suitable regimes for those with Type 2 diabetes which you should tell your SW consultant that applies to you.
There may then be some modifications to the SW menu by making substitutions for those high carb foods which many who are Type 2 avoid. So butternut squash instead of potatoes, cauliflower rice instead of rice or any colour, edamame or black bean pasta instead of wheat or pea pasta. The main difference then is the low fat v normal fat, fat does not convert to glucose so no need for low fat as low fat can be higher carb though not always.
Thank you for your good advice. My consultant said I should have half plate of protein and half what they call speed veg which is basically non rout veg.

There’s no one right diet @Robval You need to find what works for you as an individual 🙂 How’s your blood sugar at the moment?

Just as a note, there are plenty of people who’ve written about The Diet To End All Diets for Type 2. They all have their own ideas - low carb, higher carb and very low fat, low calorie, etc etc. Again, choose your own individual diet - the one that is right for you. If SW is working and your blood sugar is ok, you don’t have to change unless you want to.
I went to numerous slimming clubs and scarcely lost any weight - disobeyed all the rules for weightloss (AKA doing Atkins) and lost every time but frantic HCPs assured me that it was a fad diet and dangerous.
For me, I needed to reduce my blood glucose before I could lose weight - and when I did it was effortless.
To my mind, however, weightloss and glucose control are not the same thing - not for me.
If your slimming world diet is also controlling your blood glucose levels then you have a win-win situation if you can stick to it and lose weight.
Thank you for your comments. I did lose 4 stone on Keto but found it hard to stick to which is why I put on 2 stone and went to SW.

Have been type 2 over 30 years and only on Metformin. I only get yearly check which is due next month. Our HC doesn’t issue meters unless you are likely to go hypo so don’t have current reading. I did buy meter but it became faulty and due to cost of test strips didn’t get another.

Sorry did reply but it came up down below

We have members who have found Slimming World very effective, and others who didn’t get on with it at all.

And low carb is just the same. It suits many members here, and they get the results they are looking for in terms of weight and blood glucose - but for others it just doesn’t work for them.

You’ve got to find the system that works for you, then amend / adjust / and adapt it to personalise the general principles and get the results you are looking for 🙂

Well done on losing the 2 stones. Have you set yourself a target of how much you’d like to lose overall?
Want to lose at least another stone, I am 4 stone lighter than my heaviest another stone should get me into size 16 was originally size 24.

It would be a useful investment in your health to purchase a home testing monitor, there are several which can be bought on line which are inexpensive and a few with the cheapest test strips are the GlucoNavii, Tee2 and Contour Blue, you could then see if your SW meals are keeping your blood glucose at a good level so 4-7 mmol/ before meals, morning and fasting and no more that 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal. If not then you may want to try a different approach which is low carb not Keto which is a regime which is very sustainable long term. Have a look at this link to see how it compares https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/, it is based on the suggested no more than 130g per day carbs.

It would be a useful investment in your health to purchase a home testing monitor, there are several which can be bought on line which are inexpensive and a few with the cheapest test strips are the GlucoNavii, Tee2 and Contour Blue, you could then see if your SW meals are keeping your blood glucose at a good level so 4-7 mmol/ before meals, morning and fasting and no more that 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal. If not then you may want to try a different approach which is low carb not Keto which is a regime which is very sustainable long term. Have a look at this link to see how it compares https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/, it is based on the suggested no more than 130g per day carbs.
Thank you for this info have downloaded the app you recommended

I want to say i have downloaded the Freshwell app and it’s amazing I am going to try the plan. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Back