Slimming pills

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends sister was on them and lost 4st (has since put the weight back on as she hadnt changed her eating habits or re-educated herself). She said that not only did the tablets suppress her appitite they also suppressed her thirst as well and she had to be reminded to drink to stay hyrdated 😱.

maybe this is also another reason they have been withdrawn for safety reasons. also some people think once they get slimming pills they do not have to any changes to there diet mistakenly thinking the pill does all the work but that is a different story.

Both my hospital consultant and GP refused to prescribe this for me, they both said it plays with your mind and can lead to depression.

have not heard of it myself but if it is that bad maybe they are right to withdraw it on safety grounds

My friend is on slimming pills. I think she is addicted to them, and is not loosing weight as fast as she wants to so she is getting more and more depressed.

My friend is on slimming pills. I think she is addicted to them, and is not loosing weight as fast as she wants to so she is getting more and more depressed.

addiction to any pill does not sound good can your friend be help in way.

Sibutraline withdrawl

It's been removed from use because there's new research that says it increases the risk of heart attacks in people who take it. Docs arn't supposed to precribe it and pharmacists have been told not to dispense it. If you like it's on the MHRA website. This was sent out by the MHRA maybe a week and a half ago.
There's also been reports of a firm in the US selling fake Orlistat (Alli?) which contains Sibutramine instead of Orlistat over the internet.

It's been removed from use because there's new research that says it increases the risk of heart attacks in people who take it. Docs arn't supposed to precribe it and pharmacists have been told not to dispense it. If you like it's on the MHRA website. This was sent out by the MHRA maybe a week and a half ago.
There's also been reports of a firm in the US selling fake Orlistat (Alli?) which contains Sibutramine instead of Orlistat over the internet.

Thanks Rachelit for the info

addiction to any pill does not sound good can your friend be help in way.

She has been offered help, but you can only help someone who wants to be helped. All she wants to do is loose weight.

She has been offered help, but you can only help someone who wants to be helped. All she wants to do is loose weight.

Yes I agree sometimes if you try to help the more they seem to resist. losing weight can be hard very hard at times.

I've been on these twice. Lost 1 1/2 stone first time but then gave up smoking so stopped the tablets and put on 3 stone !! I had no side effects but there are some ie depression and heart problems I think. You have to have blood pressure taken monthly.

I then tried Orlistat but you cannot leave the house (or rather bathroom) if you have these, they are that bad. They prevent most of the fat in your diet from being stored. So came off them.

Then they brought at Alli which you buy over the counter or get on script and they are also Orlistat but half the dose but I had them for two days and again set up camp indoors !

Now I have had to go dairy free since January and have lost 1/2 stone as no chocolate, no cakes, no nothing............... and also seem to be intolerant to alcohol since January as well which is a nightmare so can't have that either !

I had Xenical, and never ever EVER again, in fact so bad I would recommend people avoid them - my GP said that the main way they work is to scare you off eating any fat in case you require a change of pants, that works better than the fat binding itself at keeping you on the straight and narrow.

I've heard nothing but good about reductil (from family members) and was shocked to see it's been banned, although completely understand if it's dangerous.

I think when it comes down to it, diabetes diagnosis alone has been enough to make me stick to my diet. Although I dont understand how anyone post diagnosis wouldn't feel inspired to stick to a diet, I do appreciate not everyone has the willpower to or will struggle due to depression/apathy, but that's not necessarily something that can be fixed with a pill, to steal another phrase from my doc.

That sounded incredibly smug, it wasn't meant to - I've got at least 8 stones to go, I'm hardly a good example of someone with a healthy lifestyle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back