Slim line tonic is this ok

Hello there @Jane Dow...I think Slimline Tonic would be safe to drink...but since I don't drink it I can't confirm this for you.

Yes but still check the carbs on it if you're out...I recently fell foul of this, I was at an evening event and drinking gin and slimline tonic all night, my sugars were crazy high so I asked the bar staff if I could see the bottle for the slimline tonic. It still had 16g of carbs in it per drink - I've not had this problem before but I think certain brands may say they are 'slimline' because they just have less carbs than their usual sugary tonic! On the whole though, you should be pretty safe with slimline 🙂

Hi could anyone advise me if this is ok to have or will it put my sugars up ?
Thank you
Schweppes slimline tonic water has zero carbs, so that wouldn't.

Beware of Fevertree tonic which is quite common as that has fructose and is marketed as having natural fruit sugars or some such, which makes it sound healthy but isn't.
As suggested Schweppes slimline tonic is fine and just to be clear, gin will also not raise your BG levels.... although it is obviously empty calories so if you need to lose weight it won't help but it won't adversely affect your BG levels.

I agree with what's been said already about Fevertree tonic. Oh yes, it does taste lovely - better than Schweppes Diet Tonic - just like normal full sugar tonic does in my gin, in fact! As long as I know that's what it is I can compensate for it later with insulin before bed (as long as I don't drink too much of the gin, anyway!)

I wholeheartedly agree with what's been said about Fever Tree Drinks..they are really high quality drinks.I'm a big fan of their sugar free Ginger Ale and Madagascan Cola...they are both seriously good fizzy drinks.

I usually ask to see the bottle/can before I order. It’s usually Schweppes slimline but an occasional different brand can catch you out. I also watch to make sure they don’t just put ordinary tonic in.

I asked to see the tonic bottle in the hotel bar tonight. A brand I had never heard of, marketed by Coca Cola. The info on the label was so small, the language was NOT English, Polish and something else, and the barman just looked vague. As I had not had much to eat today as we were travelling, I even refused the free snacks on the BA flight, I had my G&T. Botanist, and enjoyed it. Need to think again tomorrow

Hi could anyone advise me if this is ok to have or will it put my sugars up ?
Thank you

Mostly I find most slimline tonics pretty much zero-carb, but as others have said you do have to watch some of those posh ones, which are 'light' (less sugary) but not necessarily zero-carb.

Back