Slightly Concerned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royston

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, just registered with the group as I think I suffered some sort of diabetic 'turn' this afternoon and wanted to ask advice.
I have type two and have never had too many problems since being diagnosed about two and a half years ago. I'm on Gliclazde and Metaformin slow release tablets.
I'm a musician and this afternoon I was playing my Trombone for the switching on of the Christmas lights at a local shopping area. After about 15 mins I started having an ache in my stomach (not hunger but felt muscular) and soon after began experiencing a buzzing/fuzziness in the head and felt I was going to pass out! I had to urgently sit down, slightly recovered and was able to get through the last five minutes till the end.
Felt quite panicky and quickly got a cab home, had tea, jam tart and chocolate biscuit and slowly began to feel better. Now feeling tired and having a lie down and feel ok. I ate some toast before I went out but perhaps not enough and it lead to some kind of turn. I've never experienced anything like this before.
Thanks

Hi Royston, welcome to the forum. you'll get lots of sensible advice on here.

What you describe could be a hypo, particularly as you take Gliclazide. The fact that sweet treat afterwards got you feeling better almost proves it, as does feeling tired afterwards.

Do you have a test meter that could shown this? I suspect you don't, so that would be a wise investment. You just need one like the Tee2, cheap, and the test strips are cheap too, and just as accurate as more expensive meters. That would tell you how much your BG drops after a performance, so that would guide on fuelling up before the show. The toast wasn't quite enough, clearly, and playing the trombone is one of the more exertional instruments than the rest of the brass team.

Thanks Mike for reply, have done some reading and as you say it has all the hallmarks of a hypo! Playing does tend to knacker one as one gets older! The tester sounds like a must from now on. Cheers.

Thanks Mike for reply, have done some reading and as you say it has all the hallmarks of a hypo! Playing does tend to knacker one as one gets older! The tester sounds like a must from now on. Cheers.
I think the GlucoNavil has cheaper test strips as the ones for the TEE2 have suddenly increased in price a few people have reported.
As you are on gliclazide your GP should really have prescribed one with strips to be able to test especially before you drive or feel unwell as you did.

You should have been prescribed a meter on Gliclazide, and if you drive you should be testing before driving.

Ok, will shop around and look at both.
Thanks
You should have a meter and the necessary supplies on prescription - and, just in case you have not been told, free prescriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back