Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello everyone, me again!

Since the weekend, my vision has been ever so slightly blurred on close up things such as books/screens, particularly worse first thing in the morning and before bed. I was diagnosed on Monday and found out that my hba1c level was 158 and that my first few finger prick tests were between 22 and 31. How I was eating pre-diagnosis, I am pretty convinced my blood sugar has been absolutely soaring for a good few weeks if not months now. Despite being new to all this, I know diabetics have eye problems. Having looked at the information pages on here, I found the below:

"Your eyesight can also go a bit blurry if your blood sugar goes higher than usual, even for a short time. This is normal and is a symptom of high blood sugars. Get your sugar levels back to your target level and when they’ve settled, your vision should go back to normal."

I'm guessing this is what I must be suffering with now. As a newbie, should I be worried? I know I'll be offered eye screenings etc in time, and hopefully when my blood sugar is more stabilised I shall return to normal. My pre-breakfast reading this morning was 7, which did offer me a bit of hope!!

Hello everyone, me again!

Since the weekend, my vision has been ever so slightly blurred on close up things such as books/screens, particularly worse first thing in the morning and before bed. I was diagnosed on Monday and found out that my hba1c level was 158 and that my first few finger prick tests were between 22 and 31. How I was eating pre-diagnosis, I am pretty convinced my blood sugar has been absolutely soaring for a good few weeks if not months now. Despite being new to all this, I know diabetics have eye problems. Having looked at the information pages on here, I found the below:

"Your eyesight can also go a bit blurry if your blood sugar goes higher than usual, even for a short time. This is normal and is a symptom of high blood sugars. Get your sugar levels back to your target level and when they’ve settled, your vision should go back to normal."

I'm guessing this is what I must be suffering with now. As a newbie, should I be worried? I know I'll be offered eye screenings etc in time, and hopefully when my blood sugar is more stabilised I shall return to normal. My pre-breakfast reading this morning was 7, which did offer me a bit of hope!!
Don’t worry, it’s very common for people’s sight to go a bit blurry as their glucose levels start to stabilise, and it will settle down in a few months. The eye has got used to being bathed in a more syrupy liquid, and has gradually adjusted to it without you noticing, as your glucose levels went up.
It’s very important to reduce levels slowly (which is what you are doing) as a sudden lowering can cause damage to the delicate veins at the back of the eye. Opticians are normally aware of this, and most reputable ones won’t sell you new glasses if you’re recently diagnosed, as they’ll become useless within a few months as your eyesight changes. Some people buy cheap supermarket glasses, just to magnify things a bit, to tide them over.

Don’t worry, it’s very common for people’s sight to go a bit blurry as their glucose levels start to stabilise, and it will settle down in a few months. The eye has got used to being bathed in a more syrupy liquid, and has gradually adjusted to it without you noticing, as your glucose levels went up.
It’s very important to reduce levels slowly (which is what you are doing) as a sudden lowering can cause damage to the delicate veins at the back of the eye. Opticians are normally aware of this, and most reputable ones won’t sell you new glasses if you’re recently diagnosed, as they’ll become useless within a few months as your eyesight changes. Some people buy cheap supermarket glasses, just to magnify things a bit, to tide them over.
Thank you so much for the reassurance 🙂

Thank you so much for the reassurance 🙂
Although I didn't start with particularly high HbA1C as my levels started to fall my eyes were not good with near vision but ok for far vision. It was as if my eyes weren't focusing together. It dis take a few months to settle for others it is weeks.

Although I didn't start with particularly high HbA1C as my levels started to fall my eyes were not good with near vision but ok for far vision. It was as if my eyes weren't focusing together. It dis take a few months to settle for others it is weeks.
This describes me perfectly. Thank you 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back